Old 15-12-2003, 04:38 PM
John Towill

Default D-I-Y peasticks

I much prefer to use pea sticks than netting, which I cannot get along
with, maybe my fault, any tips?
Anyway I have alder at the bottom of the garden and use cuttings from these
as pea sticks, however the electricity board are coming to cut them all
down this winter.
So to my main question, my father always used hazel, would it be practical
to grow hazel for copsing? If so which species, how long before they would
produce and how many would I need for a continuous supply?
TIA
John T
If emailing direct please remove
wet from towill.
Old 15-12-2003, 04:39 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:51:29 +0000, John Towill
wrote:

I much prefer to use pea sticks than netting, which I cannot get along
with, maybe my fault, any tips?

I use a heavy gauge wire net - what you might call a lightweight
livestock net, with holes about 4 inches square.
The whole lot is mounted on poles, and at the end of the cropping
season the stems of the peas can be cut and the whole shebang lifted
out of the ground.
I have two sets, so that if I'm growing Alderman ( 6ft height ) the
second set can be placed on top of the first.
Had the same outfit about six years running now.

The old stems can be left to dry out on the mesh and simply knocked
off with a stick when bone dry at the end of summer.

Anyway I have alder at the bottom of the garden and use cuttings from these
as pea sticks, however the electricity board are coming to cut them all
down this winter.
So to my main question, my father always used hazel, would it be practical
to grow hazel for copsing? If so which species, how long before they would
produce and how many would I need for a continuous supply?

No specific answer I'm afraid - I've got a wood full of them just off
the garden...so as far as I'm concerned they 'just grow'.
Given the usefulness of the stuff, I'd plant some anyway - if you have
the room.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 15-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Bob Hobden

"John wrote in message .

I much prefer to use pea sticks than netting, which I cannot get along
with, maybe my fault, any tips?
Anyway I have alder at the bottom of the garden and use cuttings from

these
as pea sticks, however the electricity board are coming to cut them all
down this winter.

Are they going to dig out the roots? If not they will actually be coppicing
them for you and you will get a better crop of pea sticks although you may
have a year to wait.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
348 data units completed.

Old 16-12-2003, 11:23 PM
Registered User

Location: East Yorkshire

Out hazels are just in their sixth winter and would be ready to chop at next year if I were going to do it. They went in bare rooted as 45 - 60cm plants, and have had no special treatment at all.

I've been using Leylandii tops for my sweet peas and they've been really good for the job. You see, they do have some uses after all!
I'm thinking of starting a lawn laying business and calling it Sodding Perfection