Old 31-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Frogleg

Default "The three sisters" method

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:56:55 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

"Companion planting" usually touts the benefits of
attracting/discouraging insects, but IMHO has mostly to do with with
plants that enjoy similar conditions.

There's more to it than that, concerning the chemicals in plants. Onion
family benefit some plants (like roses) but discourage others. Mexican
marigolds supposedly repel couch grass.

Odd. Marigolds are recommended here to repel soil nematodes. Never
heard of it as a weed repellent. And we *do* have "couch grass" under
several names. Garlic is supposed to benefit roses in some way. But
then, garlic is recommended for almost anything. :-) Perhaps a lot of
this is owing to a strong scent or vivid coloring appearing unusually
powerful. It would be very interesting to see studies of "companion
planting" under controlled conditions. I find it interesting (and
discouraging) that we have far more evidence of plants that *attract*
certain pests. The caterpillar of the lovely Swallowtail butterfly is
*mad* for dill and parsley. And carrots tops, if it can't find my
parsley.

Old 31-12-2003, 09:49 PM
David Hill

I have been wondering about this mixed planting, if you were to plant a few
plants of an Agricultural forage varieties which can grow to around 8ft to
give support for the beans (Wonder what would happen if you planted one of
the older varieties of Pea such as Epicure --which grows to around 6ft and
crops for several weeks-- instead of the beans).
Also on G.Q.T. on radio 4 the point was made that if you were going to plant
Cues instead of Squash then you would need to grow one of the outdoor
varieties.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 01-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

I have been wondering about this mixed planting, if you were to plant a few
plants of an Agricultural forage varieties which can grow to around 8ft to
give support for the beans (Wonder what would happen if you planted one of
the older varieties of Pea such as Epicure --which grows to around 6ft and
crops for several weeks-- instead of the beans).
Also on G.Q.T. on radio 4 the point was made that if you were going to plant
Cues instead of Squash then you would need to grow one of the outdoor
varieties.

Next year I am going to plant some beans with the Jerusalem artichokes,
if I unforget. My artichokes grew to about ten feet th^^last year, and
if I can get Epicure peas, some of those wil be planted there too.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/