GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Telegraph quiz (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/49296-telegraph-quiz.html)

Janet Tweedy 31-12-2003 09:48 PM

Telegraph quiz

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

However anyone can take part so why not have a go?

Moral objections to supporting a chauvinistic rag that incites hatred
against the vulnerable. Since you asked.

But you don't have to read the newspaper to enter the quiz!
Though I would have the same objection as you if I were told to buy the
Guardian................
:)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Janet Tweedy 31-12-2003 09:48 PM

Telegraph quiz

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Anyone else doing the gardening quiz in the Telegraph on Saturday? I've
done all but about two questions.?

No. Go on then, tell us what the last two are :-)

Janet

Well I thought I knew one, but now I find that I can't decide if a
Norfolk hoe has two, four prongs or one blade or a blade and four
prongs! I thought it had just four prongs but someone has now told me
that's not correct!

janet

Stewart Robert Hinsley 31-12-2003 10:02 PM

Telegraph quiz

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

One question was:
The plant hunter, David Douglas, worked for the Horticultural Society,
(the forerunner of the RHS), in the 19th century and in 1834 lost his
life while plant hunting in the Sandwich Islands when he was
a) Eaten by a shark
b) Bitten by a snake
c) Gored by a bull
d) Attacked by killer bees

Rather than rely on my memory

URL:http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/o...ByUnique/HCOU-
4UFP34

But there's also accusations of foul play out there

URL:http://www.coffeetimes.com/daviddouglas.htm

For other sites see

URL:http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Da...num=100&hl=en&
ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ ft=i&as_fi
letype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesear ch=&safe=images
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Nick Maclaren 01-01-2004 12:35 PM

Telegraph quiz

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

However anyone can take part so why not have a go?

Moral objections to supporting a chauvinistic rag that incites hatred
against the vulnerable. Since you asked.

But you don't have to read the newspaper to enter the quiz!
Though I would have the same objection as you if I were told to buy the
Guardian................
:)

Curious. Which vulnerable people do you feel that the Guardian is
promoting a campaign of hatred against?

Please note that the fact that it is a terrible rag in most respects
is irrelevant to that question. You are required to identify a group
of vulnerable people that it is inciting hatred against. If you
answer "financiers" or "the Quorn", please justify your use of the
word "vulnerable" :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rusty Hinge 01-01-2004 06:13 PM

Telegraph quiz

The message

Curious. Which vulnerable people do you feel that the Guardian is
promoting a campaign of hatred against?

Please note that the fact that it is a terrible rag in most respects
is irrelevant to that question. You are required to identify a group
of vulnerable people that it is inciting hatred against. If you
answer "financiers" or "the Quorn", please justify your use of the
word "vulnerable" :-)

How about the Conservative Party?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

martin 01-01-2004 07:14 PM

Telegraph quiz

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 17:23:47 GMT, Rusty Hinge
wrote:

The message

Curious. Which vulnerable people do you feel that the Guardian is
promoting a campaign of hatred against?

Please note that the fact that it is a terrible rag in most respects
is irrelevant to that question. You are required to identify a group
of vulnerable people that it is inciting hatred against. If you
answer "financiers" or "the Quorn", please justify your use of the
word "vulnerable" :-)

How about the Conservative Party?

Hatred what rubbish! The Guardian despises the Tory party.
--
Martin

Rusty Hinge 01-01-2004 09:35 PM

Telegraph quiz

The message
from martin contains these words:

Please note that the fact that it is a terrible rag in most respects
is irrelevant to that question. You are required to identify a group
of vulnerable people that it is inciting hatred against. If you
answer "financiers" or "the Quorn", please justify your use of the
word "vulnerable" :-)

How about the Conservative Party?

Hatred what rubbish! The Guardian despises the Tory party.

I must have another look at them then. They must be doing *SOMETHING* right.

Janet Tweedy 02-01-2004 01:30 AM

Telegraph quiz

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Curious. Which vulnerable people do you feel that the Guardian is
promoting a campaign of hatred against?

Middle England...............

Please note that the fact that it is a terrible rag in most respects
is irrelevant to that question. You are required to identify a group
of vulnerable people that it is inciting hatred against. If you
answer "financiers" or "the Quorn", please justify your use of the
word "vulnerable" :-)

Well I only have to cite your initial responses to justify my belief
that it incites some portions of the public to hate/scorn/denigrate
another section, to wit, one Middle England

:)

Kay Easton 02-01-2004 10:12 AM

Telegraph quiz

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Curious. Which vulnerable people do you feel that the Guardian is
promoting a campaign of hatred against?

Middle England...............

Define 'Middle England'?
As a 'Worcester woman' now living in 'the most average ward in the UK'
I'd have thought I came close to the definition, but I've never felt the
Guardian to be waging a campaign of hatred against me.

Nor would I have thought that 'Middle England' was particularly
vulnerable.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: