GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dahlia query (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/49336-dahlia-query.html)

[email protected] 29-12-2003 04:05 PM

Dahlia query

Is it possible to buy a variety which has _green_foliage and the same
intense red colour/style of flower as Bishop of Llandaff, please?

And if so, what's it called?

thanks

--
jane

Mark Twain

David Hill 31-12-2003 10:02 PM

Dahlia query

"..........Is it possible to buy a variety which has _green_foliage and the
same intense red colour/style of flower as Bishop of Llandaff, please?

And if so, what's it called? ....."

There is so little demand for single/peony flowered dahlias that don't have
dark foliage that mostly when they come as seedlings they are destroyed.
If you sowed a packet of dahlia seed not the dwarf types then you would
probably have a few of the colour and form you want,
If I had known I had 3 or 4 plants that I had to get rid of as being of no
use which were close to what you want.
Sorry not to be more helpful, but who knows I may have something in next
years seedlings

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Cumberpach 01-01-2004 10:32 AM

Dahlia query

"David Hill" wrote in message
"..........Is it possible to buy a variety which has _green_foliage and

the
same intense red colour/style of flower as Bishop of Llandaff, please?

And if so, what's it called? ....."

There is so little demand for single/peony flowered dahlias that

snip
Sorry to go a bit OT here, but I have just lifted and are draining some one
and two year old dahlia tubers, for the first time.
Some of the 2 yr old clumps are quite large and some individual tubers have
broken off - intact. Will these produce new plants in the Spring or should
they be discarded.TIA.
Pete