Old 04-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Chris Stewart

Default Phormium Tenax

Hi,
I have grown Phormium Tenax from seed - collected locally from an old
garden in Aberdeen. The largest of my plants (all pot grown) would be 4 - 5
ft high with a spread of 3 - 4 ft - it's in a largish pot - 20" or so. It
would be 3 -4 years old now. Has anyone any idea when it might / could
flower? Should I try giving it a higher potash feed this spring?

Chris S

Old 04-01-2004, 05:06 AM
Geoff Bryant

Well, assuming they perform much as they do here in NZ, it should be within
a year or two, though I must say that I've never seen flaxes in pots flower
that well. How about planting some out? They're tough. Specimens around 1m
diameter at the base will usually have 2-3 flower spikes in summer. Don't
worry about the fertiliser; you should see where they grow in the wild.

Geoff Bryant
www.hortiphoto.com

Old 04-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Robert

: Hi,
: I have grown Phormium Tenax from seed - collected locally from an
: old garden in Aberdeen. The largest of my plants (all pot grown)
: would be 4 - 5 ft high with a spread of 3 - 4 ft - it's in a largish
: pot - 20" or so. It would be 3 -4 years old now. Has anyone any idea
: when it might / could flower? Should I try giving it a higher potash
: feed this spring?
:
: Chris S

Mine flower in a good summer, not that they're worth holding your breath for

Robert South West England

Old 04-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Chris Stewart

"Robert" wrote in message
: Hi,
: I have grown Phormium Tenax from seed - collected locally from an
: old garden in Aberdeen. The largest of my plants (all pot grown)
: would be 4 - 5 ft high with a spread of 3 - 4 ft - it's in a largish
: pot - 20" or so. It would be 3 -4 years old now. Has anyone any idea
: when it might / could flower? Should I try giving it a higher potash
: feed this spring?
:
: Chris S

Mine flower in a good summer, not that they're worth holding your breath

for

Robert South West England

Hmm, if it's sun and warmth they need I'm goosed! I did plant one of them in
a "sunny" border, but it turned it's toes up and hasn't been seen since -
vanished over winter - don't know if it was the cold or wet, or a
combination thereof that got it.

Chris S

Old 04-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Bob Hobden

"Chris wrote in message : I have grown Phormium Tenax from seed -
collected locally from an
: old garden in Aberdeen. The largest of my plants (all pot grown)
: would be 4 - 5 ft high with a spread of 3 - 4 ft - it's in a largish
: pot - 20" or so. It would be 3 -4 years old now. Has anyone any idea
: when it might / could flower? Should I try giving it a higher potash
: feed this spring?

Mine flower in a good summer, not that they're worth holding your breath

for

Hmm, if it's sun and warmth they need I'm goosed! I did plant one of them

in
a "sunny" border, but it turned it's toes up and hasn't been seen since -
vanished over winter - don't know if it was the cold or wet, or a
combination thereof that got it.

There are some round here N.Surrey, that have died over this hot and very
dry summer we had last year.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
358 data units completed.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

: Hi,
: I have grown Phormium Tenax from seed - collected locally from an
: old garden in Aberdeen. The largest of my plants (all pot grown)
: would be 4 - 5 ft high with a spread of 3 - 4 ft - it's in a largish
: pot - 20" or so. It would be 3 -4 years old now. Has anyone any idea
: when it might / could flower? Should I try giving it a higher potash
: feed this spring?
:
: Chris S

Mine flower in a good summer, not that they're worth holding your breath for

Robert South West England

I have had two clumps of Phormium tenax - the purpureum type - for five
years in my garden and the original plant was presumably a year or two
old when I bought it. It is really healthy, huge clumps, but it has
never flowered.

Janet G
S. Lincs

Old 04-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from "Chris Stewart" contains these words:

Hi,
I have grown Phormium Tenax from seed - collected locally from an old
garden in Aberdeen. The largest of my plants (all pot grown) would be 4 - 5
ft high with a spread of 3 - 4 ft - it's in a largish pot - 20" or so. It
would be 3 -4 years old now. Has anyone any idea when it might / could
flower? Should I try giving it a higher potash feed this spring?

Last year in our new garden on Arran, I planted several, all from GC
pots and smaller than yours..I was very surprised when one of the
variegated ones grew a flower spike in its first summer of liberty.
Although the flowers themselves are not specially beautiful, the flower
spikes are very striking and so are the long twisty seed pods. On large
old plants on the island you see many flower spikes, reaching 10 ft +.

How long did it take you to grow them to 5ft from seed? I planted some
seeds (purple phormium) in autumn which germinated a couple of weeks
ago.

Janet.

Old 04-01-2004, 06:27 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

[...]

Flowering Phormium tenax 'Variegatum rbel United Kingdom 5 02-07-2014 11:39 AM
Phormium tenax ChrisO United Kingdom 2 04-11-2007 02:02 PM
Phormium tenax flowers Compo[_2_] United Kingdom 3 06-08-2007 03:55 PM
Phormium Tenax Stokie United Kingdom 0 22-06-2006 10:00 AM
Phormium Tenax Fred Gibson United Kingdom 4 13-06-2004 12:09 PM