Old 11-01-2004, 10:34 AM
Mike

Default Sloping and Small (Long reply with solution)

"Mel" wrote in message
My problem isn't with the small size of my garden; it's the slope

*combined
with* the smallness that's giving me problems.

Books and tv programmes give ideas on how to design for a slope, but only
for larger gardens. My garden is small and squat, so if I terrace the

area,
there won't be any room on each terrace for sitting or for my kids to play
(plus I can't afford the costs of moving tons of earth).

If anyone has the time and the inclination, I've posted a couple of photos
of my garden at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/melanie.mccluskey/garden/ and
invite design ideas and hints!

Many thanks,
Mel

Hi Mel. This is the kind of gardening I am interested in and have met and
conquered the problem in 2 gardens now.

Taking the second stepping stone, the one between the pink flower and the
chair leg as the datum, I would aim at that level by :-

Building the front retaining wall up, bit by bit with broken paving slabs,
each about book size, starting at the left near the steps and laying a row
the complete width with the front edge of the broken slab about one inch
back from the front edge of the existing slab on the wall.

Backfill that broken slab with earth removed from the site ABOVE that
stepping stone datum.

Lay another row, on top, again about one inch back. Again back fill with
earth from above the datum.

This can be continued to quite a height, you will only need to go to the
datum height, I did one wall like this nearly 3 feet high. The secret for
stability here is to lay each broken bit more on its predecessor than
hanging over the back.

As far as the retaining top wall to ensure the fence doesn't fall in, is
once again build up a broken paving slab wall from BELOW the datum point,
which is easy because you are removing earth to build up the front. I would
lay that wall about 3 feet out from the fence so you have not disturbed the
earth on the fence posts and you end up with a flower border.

Tools needed Spade. Spirit Level for 'approximate' level. Hammer and wooden
levelling pegs, (Nothing fancy, I chop some bits of wood up like firewood
sticks) String if you want to make the front of either wall a straight line
and broken paving slabs.

DON'T go and buy paving slabs for this job, scrounge from neighbours, if you
have a tip where you can dump rubbish, someone would have dumped broken
paving slabs :-)) Put a sign in the local shop windows. BTW, broken slabs
come in different thickness so sort them to lay each row of the same type.
From time to time you will have a gap where two bits don't meet all that
well. With the earth at the back, this is ideal for planting a trailing
plant to hang down the wall.

The whole job can be done bit by bit as you get the paving slabs and you can
collect them yourself in your car. (A BMW 5 Series with a boot full, is a
bit heavy)

Take photos as you go and when finished stand back and admire :-))

Once level, grass or slab with 'pretty' slabs :-))

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt, seen the Movie and got the level
area :-))

Mike

Old 12-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Nick Wagg

Mike wrote:

Backfill that broken slab with earth removed from the site ABOVE that
stepping stone datum...

Remember to keep your topsoil separate. Level out the subsoil and then
replace the topsoil.
--
Nick Wagg

OT reply to reply to reply Any friends in Chandigarh, India mg Orchids 0 25-07-2004 04:02 PM
OT reply to reply to reply Any friends in Chandigarh, India who can tell me about orchid soc Dustin Orchids 0 08-04-2004 01:05 AM
OT reply to reply to reply Any friends in Chandigarh, India who can tell me about orchid societi Ted Byers Orchids 0 06-04-2004 09:18 PM
Sloping and Small Mel United Kingdom 0 30-01-2004 10:33 AM
Sloping and Small Mel United Kingdom 3 11-01-2004 10:34 AM