GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Conservatory vine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/50062-conservatory-vine.html)

Sacha 12-01-2004 02:07 PM

Conservatory vine

Jaques d'Alltrades12/1/04 2:52

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

When I were a wee lad, my father brought home a young vine and he had been
told the same thing. We had a large Victorian Conservatory which had a gap
of about 2 inches all round the bottom. He dug a hole on the outside, put a
dead rabbit in the bottom, don't ask, that's what he was told to do, covered
that with some soil and then planted the vine, bringing the vine under the
side walls and then trained it up and under the roof. Masses of leaves, and
quite a bit of fruit, nothing special.

The French advocate a dead donkey. (It supplies slow-release phosphates.)

I thought that was for a fig tree?
snip
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Andy Hunt 12-01-2004 05:05 PM

Conservatory vine

Some types of vine produce small grapes and some types produce big
grapes.

LOL almost as dry as the end result!!!

What do mean LOL?
It was a serious answer.

Sorry - I thought you were being 'dry'. My mistake!

Andrew

martin 12-01-2004 07:07 PM

Conservatory vine

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 06:00:35 +0000, Alan Gould
wrote:

My feeling is that height above
sea level could be a factor. Northern European vines seem to do well on
high ground, but we are only a few feel above sea level and that could
make the difference.

I am 80 cm above sea level, I don't think altitude is relevant to vine
growing. I know of vines growing well, below sea level.
--
Martin

Jaques d'Alltrades 13-01-2004 01:33 AM

Conservatory vine

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

The French advocate a dead donkey. (It supplies slow-release phosphates.)

I thought that was for a fig tree?

May hold good for that too - their needs seem similar to me, and too
much nitrogen hooters-up both.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Jaques d'Alltrades 13-01-2004 03:13 AM

Conservatory vine

The message
from martin contains these words:

I am 80 cm above sea level,

So most of you is waterlogged - 'splains a lot.

I don't think altitude is relevant to vine
growing. I know of vines growing well, below sea level.

And I always thought that was bladder wrack.

Pete Griffiths 13-01-2004 06:34 PM

Conservatory vine

Phew - thanks all for your responses. I will definitely go for it.

Pete

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Pete Griffiths" contains these

words:

We currently have a new conservatory under construction, and have been

given
a vine (no idea what variety!). There are no planting holes in the

floor,
but I have heard that a useful alternative is to plant the vine outside
against the wall, and train it through a hole into the conservatory. The
hole would be large enough to accept the girth of the vine when matured,

and
would be packed with foam or a similar material in the meantine. Is this

sensible approach? (One of my concerns is mice!)

Vines should always be planted outside a conservatory, and it is better
too, to plant them outside a greenhouse.

Mouse access could be a problem. Some perforated zinc pieces cut so they
overlap and get pushed out as the stem thickens might be an answer.

martin 13-01-2004 07:13 PM

Conservatory vine

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:53:11 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:40:52 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

And I always thought that was bladder wrack.

Have you sort medical help? :-)

What sort of medical help?

a notional truss?
--
Martin

Jaques d'Alltrades 14-01-2004 04:05 AM

Conservatory vine

wrote:

And I always thought that was bladder wrack.

Have you sort medical help? :-)

What sort of medical help?

a notional truss?

A? What was that? Speak up! The National Trust?

Jaques d'Alltrades 15-01-2004 01:35 AM

Conservatory vine

The message
from martin contains these words:

A? What was that? Speak up! The National Trust?

Boo! Hiss!

What's a goose got to do with it?

martin 15-01-2004 09:43 PM

Conservatory vine

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:00:13 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

A? What was that? Speak up! The National Trust?

Boo! Hiss!

What's a goose got to do with it?

take a gander.
--