GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   In praise of Jersey Kale (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/50122-praise-jersey-kale.html)

Steve Harris 11-01-2004 11:10 PM

In praise of Jersey Kale

This is a non-curly kale that's claimed to grow very tall - 17' is the
record and they make walking sticks out of the stems on Jersey.

Mine has grown to about 5' and I've started eating it. It has a lot of
young leaves and the trick is to harvest them at about 4" long and steam
them for about 5 minutes. The result is something that's got a strong
but not bitter cabbage taste.

Worth growing as an edible novelty. Caution: If your grows much bigger
than mine, you'll need a step ladder to harvest it!

Sacha 11-01-2004 11:10 PM

In praise of Jersey Kale

Steve Harris11/1/04 10:00

This is a non-curly kale that's claimed to grow very tall - 17' is the
record and they make walking sticks out of the stems on Jersey.

snip

Jersey cabbage - know it well. Some places still make walking sticks out of
it. Have you tried to do that yourself?
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Steve Harris 12-01-2004 12:35 AM

In praise of Jersey Kale

In article ,
(Sacha) wrote:

Have you tried to do that yourself?

Not yet, the stem is a bit occupied holding up the productive bit! :-)

Jaques d'Alltrades 12-01-2004 04:04 AM

In praise of Jersey Kale

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:
In article ,
(Sacha) wrote:

Have you tried to do that yourself?

Not yet, the stem is a bit occupied holding up the productive bit! :-)

Stilts in the making?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Sacha 12-01-2004 02:13 PM

In praise of Jersey Kale

Steve Harris12/1/04 12:00

In article ,
(Sacha) wrote:

Have you tried to do that yourself?

Not yet, the stem is a bit occupied holding up the productive bit! :-)

Good point - but be sure to let us know if you try!

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Sacha 12-01-2004 02:33 PM

In praise of Jersey Kale

Sacha12/1/04 2:13

Steve Harris12/1/04 12:00

In article ,
(Sacha) wrote:

Have you tried to do that yourself?

Not yet, the stem is a bit occupied holding up the productive bit! :-)

Good point - but be sure to let us know if you try!

Sorry - meant to add this:
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/pwj/walkingstick.html
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Tim Challenger 12-01-2004 02:34 PM

In praise of Jersey Kale

Sorry - meant to add this:
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/pwj/walkingstick.html

Is that real? Wierd!
Do you happen to know how hardy they are? Would they survive a
central-European winter?

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Sacha 12-01-2004 02:35 PM

In praise of Jersey Kale

Tim Challenger12/1/04 2:17
pm"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"70a19872aa 2fc1adf53c7c1417c3af6e@new
s.teranews.com

Sorry - meant to add this:
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/pwj/walkingstick.html

Is that real? Wierd!
Do you happen to know how hardy they are? Would they survive a
central-European winter?

I'm sorry, Tim, I don't know. The best thing would probably be to type the
Latin name into a botanical site and see what it kicks up. OTOH, you could
ring the people in Jersey for their opinion.
And yes, it's real. Traditionally, the walking sticks are finished with a
Jersey coin set into the top.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

David Rance 12-01-2004 03:05 PM

In praise of Jersey Kale

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Sacha wrote:

Is that real? Wierd!
Do you happen to know how hardy they are? Would they survive a
central-European winter?

I'm sorry, Tim, I don't know. The best thing would probably be to type the
Latin name into a botanical site and see what it kicks up.

What is the Latin name? I suspect my neighbour in Normandy grows this
stuff to feed his rabbits.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Sacha 12-01-2004 03:33 PM

In praise of Jersey Kale

David Rance12/1/04 2:54

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Sacha wrote:

Is that real? Wierd!
Do you happen to know how hardy they are? Would they survive a
central-European winter?

I'm sorry, Tim, I don't know. The best thing would probably be to type the
Latin name into a botanical site and see what it kicks up.

What is the Latin name? I suspect my neighbour in Normandy grows this
stuff to feed his rabbits.

Sorry, I thought it had been given upthread: Brassica Oleracea Longata
There is a story that they originated in La Vendee in France. Having cut
down the cabbage, you dry the stem for a year until it hardens and then
varnish it. I think Chilterns have the seeds.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

David Rance 12-01-2004 04:33 PM

In praise of Jersey Kale

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Sacha wrote:

What is the Latin name? I suspect my neighbour in Normandy grows this
stuff to feed his rabbits.

Sorry, I thought it had been given upthread: Brassica Oleracea Longata
There is a story that they originated in La Vendee in France. Having cut
down the cabbage, you dry the stem for a year until it hardens and then
varnish it. I think Chilterns have the seeds.

Ah, many thanks for that, Sacha.

Jaques d'Alltrades 13-01-2004 01:34 AM

In praise of Jersey Kale

The message
from Sacha contains these words:
Tim Challenger12/1/04 2:17
pm"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"70a19872aa 2fc1adf53c7c1417c3af6e@new
s.teranews.com

Sorry - meant to add this:
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/pwj/walkingstick.html

Is that real? Wierd!
Do you happen to know how hardy they are? Would they survive a
central-European winter?

I'm sorry, Tim, I don't know. The best thing would probably be to type the
Latin name into a botanical site and see what it kicks up. OTOH, you could
ring the people in Jersey for their opinion.
And yes, it's real. Traditionally, the walking sticks are finished with a
Jersey coin set into the top.

ISTR from a seed catalogue that they grow better in warmer climates.

Jaques d'Alltrades 13-01-2004 01:34 AM

In praise of Jersey Kale

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I think Chilterns have the seeds.

They used to.

Steve Harris 13-01-2004 02:35 PM

In praise of Jersey Kale

In article ,
(Jaques d'Alltrades) wrote:

ISTR from a seed catalogue that they grow better in warmer climates.

And Central Europe would be that during the main growing season but not
the shooting period. In the books, Kale (in general) is usually stated
to be extremely hardy so Tim's local books might give him the data he
needs.

Also, I recall that some Brassicas are stated to grow *less* well when
it gets hot.

Steve Harris 13-01-2004 02:35 PM

In praise of Jersey Kale

In article ,
(Jaques d'Alltrades) wrote:

I think Chilterns have the seeds.

They used to.

In their 2004 catalogue. Also seen on the Thompson and Morgan site