GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT how to stop cross posted messages (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/50317-ot-how-stop-cross-posted-messages.html)

Jay 15-01-2004 11:19 AM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

Jay

Mike 15-01-2004 12:49 PM

"Jay" wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this

newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

Jay

Why?

Ones learns a lot from some cross posting. Just ignore that you do wish to
see :-))

Mike

Reid 15-01-2004 02:05 PM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

Following up to Jay

I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

I did use a bolt on piece of software to do this for a while but
it slowed downloads to a snails pace and some crossposts are
valid, so I now just block the loony threads as they come up. Its
easier and quicker.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso

Martin Sykes 15-01-2004 02:43 PM

"Jay" wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this

newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

Jay

I use NetProxy/NewsProxy. It's a bit tricky to set up initially but you can
define rules to block posts which are crossposted etc. The only problem is
when some helpful sole replies to the message without crossposting it at
which point you pick up the thread and all the rubbish in it.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Steve Harris 15-01-2004 03:31 PM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

In article , (Mike)
wrote:

Just ignore that you do wish to
see :-))

Yeah! Just hit delete and stop moaning about all that lovely spam! :-)

Bob Hobden 15-01-2004 05:03 PM

"Jay" wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this

newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

That sounds a good idea Jay until someone crossposts, and I've done it, to
two or three Ng's where the question/answer is relevant and valid on every
one and the topic needs opening up to others beside Gardeners for a better
understanding.

By blocking crossposts you could miss something good.

Although if you were to stop crossposts to ,say, more than five Ng's you
might kill the rubbish without loosing the good stuff. I just ignore the
rubbish (unless I want to draw the troll out from under their bridge).

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
359 data units completed.

Jaques d'Alltrades 15-01-2004 05:40 PM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

The message
from "Jay" contains these words:

I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

I haven't had OE on any of my boxen since I heaved it out from Win 3.11,
so if you're going to continue using it, no.

However, have a look at www.zetnet.com and if you want to come and play
with ZIMACS as your mail/news client, yes I can.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Trevor Appleton 15-01-2004 06:35 PM

Jay wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this

newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

I wouldn't know how to tell they were crossposted?

Jaques d'Alltrades 15-01-2004 10:14 PM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

The message
from "Trevor Appleton" trevor@nospamweatherdot4dinternetdocodotuk
contains these words:

I wouldn't know how to tell they were crossposted?

look at the headers.

Franz Heymann 16-01-2004 02:34 PM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

"Trevor Appleton" trevor@nospamweatherdot4dinternetdocodotuk wrote in
message ...

Jay wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this

newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

I wouldn't know how to tell they were crossposted?

Which software do you use to access the internet?
If it is Outlook Express, look in the grey rectangle above the message, in
the line saying "Newsgroups"

Franz

Bob Hobden 16-01-2004 05:04 PM

"Franz wrote in message ...
Which software do you use to access the internet?
If it is Outlook Express, look in the grey rectangle above the message, in
the line saying "Newsgroups"

He uses the Outlook Express version 5 if you look. Now how did we know that
Trevor? :-)

JennyC 17-01-2004 12:14 PM

"Jay" wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

Jay

In Outlook :
- hit 'reply group'
- remove de names of the groups you don't want to reply to in the 'newsgroups'
box at the top of your screen
- leave uk.rec.gardening only :~))

Jenny

Trevor Appleton 18-01-2004 04:07 PM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

Right, but you don't have to double click on a message to read it, you can
read it in the window below the headers, and therefore not notice this ever

Jaques d'Alltrades 19-01-2004 03:21 AM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

The message
from "Trevor Appleton" trevor@nospamweatherdot4dinternetdocodotuk
contains these words:

I'm no wiser!

Maybe, but you know a bit more.....

(Couldn't resist it, sorry.)

I've never used OE, and hope never to have to, so I can't tell you how
to conjure the header: however, there is a lot of info' in it about
sender, addresses, recipient(s), route taken, program used to write post
etc.

Jay 19-01-2004 12:34 PM

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Jay" wrote in message
I hope you don't mind this question here but I would dearly love to
immediately delete the cross posted messages that appear on this

newsgroup.
I use Outlook Express but cannot see how to set up the appropriate rule.

Please can someone help?

Jay

In Outlook :
- hit 'reply group'
- remove de names of the groups you don't want to reply to in the

'newsgroups'
box at the top of your screen
- leave uk.rec.gardening only :~))

Jenny

Yes that I'm OK with but what I'd like to do is stop these cross-posted
messages ever arriving in the first place.

Jay

Jaques d'Alltrades 19-01-2004 08:11 PM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

The message
from "Jay" contains these words:

/snip/

In Outlook :
- hit 'reply group'
- remove de names of the groups you don't want to reply to in the

'newsgroups'
box at the top of your screen
- leave uk.rec.gardening only :~))

Jenny

Yes that I'm OK with but what I'd like to do is stop these cross-posted
messages ever arriving in the first place.

Well, I could tell you how, but I don't think you can do it in Outlurk,
so it would mean changing ISPs.

martin 19-01-2004 11:25 PM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:04:14 -0000, "Jay"
wrote:

Yes that I'm OK with but what I'd like to do is stop these cross-posted
messages ever arriving in the first place.

You can't.
--
Martin

Troy 19-01-2004 11:25 PM

Jay wrote:

Yes that I'm OK with but what I'd like to do is stop these cross-posted
messages ever arriving in the first place.

"Hamster" (used with OE or any newsreader) will do exactly that.

http://www.tglsoft.de/misc/hamster_en.htm

Not easy to set up but well worth it - it can do all sorts :-) I've been
using it for a long time and wouldn't be without it.
--
Regards,

Trøy the Black Lab.

Jaques d'Alltrades 20-01-2004 04:10 AM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:

Yes that I'm OK with but what I'd like to do is stop these cross-posted
messages ever arriving in the first place.

You can't.

*YOU* can't. I can.

martin 20-01-2004 08:32 AM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

wrote:

Yes that I'm OK with but what I'd like to do is stop these cross-posted
messages ever arriving in the first place.

You can't.

*YOU* can't. I can.

So can I, but she can't....

unless she downloads Pop3 Scan Mail
--
Martin

PK 20-01-2004 09:12 AM

wrote:

Yes that I'm OK with but what I'd like to do is stop these
cross-posted messages ever arriving in the first place.

If they are coming from the same regular places.... Outlook express allows a
filter "where the message is on specified news group" you can then either
delete or copy to a "cross posts" folder.

pk

Mike 20-01-2004 09:42 AM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

Yes that I'm OK with but what I'd like to do is stop these cross-posted
messages ever arriving in the first place.

Jay

You appear to be paranoid about cross posting. Why? Why not just ignore them
in the first place? Why get all upset and spend so much time getting angry
over them, is there not something more important in your life than worrying
yourself silly over cross posting?

Mike
Om Shanti

Jaques d'Alltrades 20-01-2004 01:32 PM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

The message
from "PK" contains these words:
wrote:

Yes that I'm OK with but what I'd like to do is stop these
cross-posted messages ever arriving in the first place.

If they are coming from the same regular places.... Outlook express allows a
filter "where the message is on specified news group" you can then either
delete or copy to a "cross posts" folder.

In our KF you just type into the subject field (say) uk:rec:gardening:3
and if the post goes to three or more groups, *ZAP!*

Kill any crosspost using '2' instead of '3', etc. Allow more crossposts
in other groups by increasing that number - dead handy.

posts to u.r.g. here get in if they are crossposted to one other group.
Anything else blunders into a black hole.

Jaques d'Alltrades 20-01-2004 01:33 PM

OT how to stop cross posted messages

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Yes that I'm OK with but what I'd like to do is stop these cross-posted
messages ever arriving in the first place.

Jay

You appear to be paranoid about cross posting. Why? Why not just ignore them
in the first place? Why get all upset and spend so much time getting angry
over them, is there not something more important in your life than worrying
yourself silly over cross posting?

IME the bulk of posts which have been crossposted to three or more
groups are started by malicious trolls, and 'reply to' is often set to
include a target group which the troll feels has slighted him.

Not all crossposted messages fall into this category of course, and
genuine inquiries posted to a number of likely groups is a useful
facility. You can usually tell if you check your KF log: then you can
make an exception and receive that subject.

David W.E. Roberts 28-01-2004 11:24 AM

wrote:

Yes that I'm OK with but what I'd like to do is stop these
cross-posted messages ever arriving in the first place.

If they are coming from the same regular places.... Outlook express allows

filter "where the message is on specified news group" you can then either
delete or copy to a "cross posts" folder.

pk

I have tried using the rules in OE to delete 'junk' postings, but without
success.

One main polluter of this NG is postings from uk.local.yorkshire (I note a
'uk.local.yorkshire.moderated' has appeared).

I have tried to use the rules in OE, but for some reason it only seems to
act on a NG if you are working within the 'uk.local.yorkshire' folder.

i.e.
I have set it to delete if the message is posted to 'uk.local.yorkshire'.
To be able to do this I first had to subscribe to the NG (as you have to
select from the list you are subscribed to).
Now when I download messages to the 'uk.local.yorkshire' folder they are all
deleted, but messages to other NGs which are X-posted to
'uk.local.yorkshire' are not deleted.
So a singularly useless rule!
If I just wanted to delete all 'uk.local.yorkshire messages in that folder,
then why subscribe to the NG anyway?

I will try using another action but I am not hopeful.

I may have to move my NG reading to another tool, but (sadly) I am used to
using OE now and using multiple mail/news tools can be a bit of a pain.

Cheers
Dave R