Old 15-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Michael Savage

Default Alternatives to Pendulous Sedge?

Hi all

I have long had a fondness for Pendulous Sedge and was planning on growing a
clump at one end of my small woodland area (about 6m x 2m), to balance a
nice shuttlecocky fern on the other side.

However, while checking it out with Google I see various urglers have warned
against its invasiveness.

What do people think? Plant one and keep on top of it (given the small area
I'm looking at)? Or is there a better plant that would give me the same sort
of form but be less invasive?

BTW, I'm in Derry, so wetness isn't in short supply, though my soil is
fairly sandy and free-draining. I'm adding lots of leaf-litter and shredded
material to the woodland area, which in addition to the ferns has various
bulbs, establishing cyclamens and a few hellebores.

Michael S

Old 15-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Martin Sykes

"Michael Savage" wrote in message
[...]

I grow pendulous sedge and it is a bit invasive through self-seeding rather
than spreading but not a real problem. I just weed it out where I don't want
it. There are a lot worse plants. For example, the forget-me-nots have taken
over a large area of my garden in the last year.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 16-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Spider

I also grow Pendulous Sedge (in my woodland garden) and have had no trouble
with it so far. I've heard the 'invasive thug' insults too, but am not
inclined to be put off. I heed the warning and keep an eye on my two or
three clumps. They're so graceful .. I love them.
Having had no problems, I'm not sure whether this invasiveness comes about
through suckering or self-seeding. My clumps certainly haven't raced away
(yet!). If seeding is the problem, perhaps the seed heads could be removed
before they ripen?
Spider