Old 15-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Bob H

Default Are they dying?....was discolouring junipers

Hi,
we have had 2 Juniper Juniperis? conifers in pots/tubs for about the
last 18 months, and this last few months, well since back end of Autumn,
they have discoloured.
The conifers are about 36/42 inches high, and about 20 inches across. One of
them is more discoloured than the other. The discolouring is from top to
bottom, about 1/3 rd of the way round. Whilst more than half of the plant is
greenish, the remainder is brown or going to brown, with some grey? in it.
The other conifer is also going the same way but not as bad yet, although I
would have hoped for some improvement with the onset of Autumn/Winter and
more rain, but this has not happened. So now I am beggining to think that it
is food that is needed??

Any ideas please
Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Old 15-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Bob H

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
Bob H15/1/04 8:04

[...]

Can the rain that they've had drain away or are their roots saturated?

Are
the tubs raised off the ground a little to let water drain away? Don't

feed
them!
Are they in the path of strong winds?
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Well, with the lack of rain during the summer months prompted me to think
that was part of the cause, but now I am not sure.
The pots are not raised off the ground, but I will endevour to do that this
weekend.
The other possibility I thought which may have caused the discolouring was
wind. Maybe I will have to re position them, but having said that, wind did
not bother them in the first 12 months.

Thanks
--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Old 16-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Bob H" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Also consider aphids which can infest conifers and cause them to go brown
and die in severe cases. (check if they are sticky underneath)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 18-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Bob H

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Bob H" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yesterday I raised the pots off the ground slightly to let water drain away
easier, and I looked at the actual leaves/fronds? of the plants, and I found
no stickiness at all, only that the brown/grey parts of the plants were very
fragile in that they easily broke away.

Thanks

--
Bob H