GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   squirrels and bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/50650-squirrels-bulbs.html)

Lazarus Cooke 20-01-2004 01:02 PM

squirrels and bulbs

My lawn is full of little holes where a grey squirrel has dug up and
eaten my newly planted bulbs. Anything I can do other than chicken
wire?

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address

Martin Sykes 20-01-2004 04:05 PM

squirrels and bulbs

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
My lawn is full of little holes where a grey squirrel has dug up and
eaten my newly planted bulbs. Anything I can do other than chicken
wire?

Lazarus

Put out peanuts. I doubt they'll bother digging for bulbs if there is easier
food around.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Mike 20-01-2004 04:43 PM

squirrels and bulbs

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
My lawn is full of little holes where a grey squirrel has dug up and
eaten my newly planted bulbs. Anything I can do other than chicken
wire?

Move to the Isle of Wight where there are no Grey Tree Rats?

Mike

Lazarus Cooke 20-01-2004 05:35 PM

squirrels and bulbs

In article , Martin Sykes
wrote:

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
My lawn is full of little holes where a grey squirrel has dug up and
eaten my newly planted bulbs. Anything I can do other than chicken
wire?

Lazarus

Put out peanuts. I doubt they'll bother digging for bulbs if there is easier
food around.

I thought of that. Good idea. I think I'll do it.

Remover the rock from the email address

VivienB 20-01-2004 08:40 PM

squirrels and bulbs

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:00:51 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

Put out peanuts. I doubt they'll bother digging for bulbs if there is easier
food around.

I put out lots of peanuts. More bulbs are being dug up this year than
ever before (Sorry!). I am just glad that we seem to have only the one
squirrel.

Regards, VivienB

Steve Harris 20-01-2004 08:51 PM

squirrels and bulbs

In article ,
(Martin Sykes) wrote:

Put out peanuts. I doubt they'll bother digging for bulbs if there is
easier food around.

And do it every day. As the population increases, put out increased
quantities :-)

Sacha 20-01-2004 08:55 PM

squirrels and bulbs

Lazarus Cooke20/1/04 5:28

In article , Martin Sykes
wrote:

"Lazarus Cooke" wrote in message
om...
My lawn is full of little holes where a grey squirrel has dug up and
eaten my newly planted bulbs. Anything I can do other than chicken
wire?

Lazarus

Put out peanuts. I doubt they'll bother digging for bulbs if there is easier
food around.

I thought of that. Good idea. I think I'll do it.

I think you might find that this will encourage more squirrels to visit your
garden and bring their friends, too. ;-( All those squirrels that have
been digging for bulbs in your neighbours' gardens will just gravitate
towards yours.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)