GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Layering (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/50965-layering.html)

Lee and Kath 25-01-2004 11:32 AM

Layering

Can I successfully layer a privet hedge, and if so, what is the best way of going about it? I have
one or two areas which are a bit thin near the bottom.

Kath

Nick Maclaren 25-01-2004 12:43 PM

Layering

In article ,
Lee and Kath wrote:
Can I successfully layer a privet hedge, and if so, what is the best way of going about it? I have
one or two areas which are a bit thin near the bottom.

If you have flexible, low branches, it is worth a go.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Neil 25-01-2004 01:42 PM

Layering

"Lee and Kath" wrote in message
Can I successfully layer a privet hedge, and if so, what is the best way

of going about it? I have
one or two areas which are a bit thin near the bottom.

Kath

I always peg or weight stems to the ground and cover the contact point with
leaf-mould. You will need to leave it for a few months minimum to get any
results. Cuttings can do the same but less successfully though more can be
used, no real benefits either way.
Neil