GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Vegetable Recommendations (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/50970-vegetable-recommendations.html)

thescullster 25-01-2004 01:04 PM

Vegetable Recommendations

Hi all

I have a 5m x 3m plot running north south to the west of our kitchen.
The southern end of this plot is more shaded with more clay content.
Last year I successfully grew runner beans to the northern end of the plot
(scarlet emperor).
What vegetables have the most chance of succeeding in this situation?
When should they be planted - indoors/outdoors?
I would hope to plant a variety of crops and see how they go this first
year.

TIA

Phil

Alan Gould 25-01-2004 05:02 PM

Vegetable Recommendations

In article , thescullster
writes
Hi all

I have a 5m x 3m plot running north south to the west of our kitchen.
The southern end of this plot is more shaded with more clay content.
Last year I successfully grew runner beans to the northern end of the plot
(scarlet emperor).
What vegetables have the most chance of succeeding in this situation?
When should they be planted - indoors/outdoors?
I would hope to plant a variety of crops and see how they go this first
year.

Most hardier vegetables like cabbages, onions, roots etc. should give
good results in the sunnier parts of that plot, but avoid tender or
half-hardy varieties like tomatoes, potatoes, peppers etc. until you
know bit more about what will tolerate the conditions there. Plants
will grow in the shady part too, but more slowly. Don't try to make up
for the lack of light with extra feeding there, but give them a longer
growing season if you can.

You may find some useful hints in the urg Veg. & Salad plant Index at:
http://www.fuchsiazone.co.uk/veg-index/vegindex.htm
[not as shown in the FAQ list]
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Steve Harris 25-01-2004 10:48 PM

Vegetable Recommendations

In article ,
ukdotcom (thescullster) wrote:

The southern end of this plot is more shaded with more clay content.

Few vegetables relish such conditions but many may be OK. Here are a
couple other (interesting) things that are alleged to like some shade:

Hamburg Parsley
Land Cress

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/