Old 25-01-2004, 01:04 PM
thescullster

Default Vegetable Recommendations

Hi all

I have a 5m x 3m plot running north south to the west of our kitchen.
The southern end of this plot is more shaded with more clay content.
Last year I successfully grew runner beans to the northern end of the plot
(scarlet emperor).
What vegetables have the most chance of succeeding in this situation?
When should they be planted - indoors/outdoors?
I would hope to plant a variety of crops and see how they go this first
year.

TIA

Phil

Old 25-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Alan Gould

In article , thescullster
writes
Hi all

I have a 5m x 3m plot running north south to the west of our kitchen.
The southern end of this plot is more shaded with more clay content.
Last year I successfully grew runner beans to the northern end of the plot
(scarlet emperor).
What vegetables have the most chance of succeeding in this situation?
When should they be planted - indoors/outdoors?
I would hope to plant a variety of crops and see how they go this first
year.

Most hardier vegetables like cabbages, onions, roots etc. should give
good results in the sunnier parts of that plot, but avoid tender or
half-hardy varieties like tomatoes, potatoes, peppers etc. until you
know bit more about what will tolerate the conditions there. Plants
will grow in the shady part too, but more slowly. Don't try to make up
for the lack of light with extra feeding there, but give them a longer
growing season if you can.

You may find some useful hints in the urg Veg. & Salad plant Index at:
http://www.fuchsiazone.co.uk/veg-index/vegindex.htm
[not as shown in the FAQ list]
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.