Old 25-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Building a greenhouse advice

I am thinking of building a lean-to greenhouse in my back yard, to grow
vines and tomatoes and the like in, to double as a kind of
"conservatory-lite". Rather than buying one, I was thinking of making it
with poles and plastic sheeting, and filling it with large pots, but no
benches or shelves.

Can you get poles which lock together in any combination to make a "bespoke"
greenhouse, at all? I was also thinking of using semi-opaque plastic
sheeting too, rather than glass or plastic windows, to give the light but
not necessarily the view. I don't mind having a view, but it's not that
great through plastic sheeting anyway, and I am overlooked by the back of
the next street full of terraced houses, so it's not that amazing a view in
any case. Would having it semi-opaque reduce the amount of light getting in
to any significant degree?

Any top tips would be well received!

Andrew

Old 26-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Andy Hunt" contains these words:

I am thinking of building a lean-to greenhouse in my back yard, to grow
vines and tomatoes and the like in, to double as a kind of
"conservatory-lite". Rather than buying one, I was thinking of making it
with poles and plastic sheeting, and filling it with large pots, but no
benches or shelves.

Can you get poles which lock together in any combination to make a "bespoke"
greenhouse, at all?

probably - but I don't know of any apart from scaffolding.

You may find socket junctions so you can put your own rods in. Try Screwfix.

I was also thinking of using semi-opaque plastic
sheeting too, rather than glass or plastic windows, to give the light but
not necessarily the view. I don't mind having a view, but it's not that
great through plastic sheeting anyway, and I am overlooked by the back of
the next street full of terraced houses, so it's not that amazing a view in
any case. Would having it semi-opaque reduce the amount of light getting in
to any significant degree?

No problem there, assuming you mean translucent. I had a glass fibre
tunnel and that was fine.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 26-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
[...]

You could try plastic water pipe and use the various fittings for joints
but if it is not properly anchored you will lose it on the first windy day!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Andy Hunt

You could try plastic water pipe and use the various fittings for joints
but if it is not properly anchored you will lose it on the first windy

day!

That's not a bad idea, I think I'd only need 3 lengths of piping. It would
be cheap and easy to drill holes in (I would screw it securely to the
ground/wall/house so it wouldn't blow away!). It's not going to be too big,
and it's in a corner, so hopefully it will withstand the coming
global-warming fuelled tornadoes etc! I suppose if I was really clever
(which I'm probably not!) I could make it with a gutter to collect water in
a water-butt . . .

Thanks for that one!

Andrew