Old 11-02-2004, 04:49 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Arthropodium cirratum

In article ,
papa wrote:
I wonder if anyone has experience of this NZ native? I just wanted to
know how vigorous/invasive it is? Can it be kept under control easily?
This question probably only applies if you are in London or Cornwall
as I understand it is not totally hardy....

many thanks if you can help

Dave Poole kindly sent me some seed, and I have got one plant to
survive and flower. It was about 9" high, weedy, and may not come
through the winter. It bears the same sort of relationship to
invasive plants as Ethelred the Unredy did to the Vikings.

However, the books and he refer to it as growing several feet high,
so it may not be representative!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
papa wrote:
I wonder if anyone has experience of this NZ native? I just wanted to
know how vigorous/invasive it is? Can it be kept under control easily?
This question probably only applies if you are in London or Cornwall
as I understand it is not totally hardy....

many thanks if you can help

Dave Poole kindly sent me some seed, and I have got one plant to
survive and flower. It was about 9" high, weedy, and may not come
through the winter. It bears the same sort of relationship to
invasive plants as Ethelred the Unredy did to the Vikings.

However, the books and he refer to it as growing several feet high,
so it may not be representative!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mine does a little better! but it gets slaughtered by slugs and snails if
planted out. I find its best in pots. Its a mild nuisance in the greenhouse
getting into other pots but easily removed while young.
There are some very good named forms doing the rounds down here (bigger
flowers and more flower)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk