Old 21-02-2004, 04:45 PM
tempy

Default choice of greenhouse

Hi All,
Looking for advice on the difference between horticultural glass greenhouse
and Polycarbonate greenhouse.
I am aware of the safety issues but wonder if there are any other issues
which I should consider before choosing. Also does the polycarbonate
material become discoloured, become more or less opaque after a few years?
Also could anyone recommend a manufacturer/supplier. I have been looking at
the greenhouses offerd by B&Q but would like to shop around a bit. I'm
looking for an 8 x 6 minimum.
Just one more (long) question!
How does the base fix to the ground and what preperation should I do to the
foundation?
I live in Ayrshire, Scotland

Thanks for any response!

James

Old 21-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Annelies

Hi,

We have a 8x10 polycarb greenhouse, an Eden with aluminium plinth, double
doors and 4 roof vents. When we bought it it was a special offer for
something in £500 but normal price is around £660.
We dug holes for the 4 corners, filled them with concrete and rubble and
sunk the corner posts in (make sure the lot is level....). The plinth rests
on a low (2 layers above ground level) brick foundation. We put a concrete
slab path in the middle and filled one border with compost and the other one
with pea gravel. We use an electric fan for heating/ventilation and put
automatic roof openers in.
So far, we are very pleased with the whole thing. It came as a self assembly
job but everything needed was there and all fitted and was easy to do.
I get the impression it keeps temperature slightly better than glass and so
far no discolouration. The panels were treated by the manufacturer and you
should pay attention to which side is in and which side is out during
assembly.
Personally, I think 6' is too narrow but that is of course a personal choice
and also dependent on the amount of space you have available.

Annelies

"tempy" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old 21-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Tom Bennett

"tempy" wrote Also could anyone recommend a manufacturer/supplier. I
have been looking at
the greenhouses offerd by B&Q but would like to shop around a bit.

Suggest a search on http://www.google.co.uk/ . Just type "greenhouses"
in the search bar and turn on the "pages from the UK" radio button.

I look at it for most things like this and it's surprising what you can
sometimes turn up.

- Tom