Old 21-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Dan

Default Help?

Hello,

I would like to get started in Allotment gardening but i don't have
any experience at all, could you send any details, information or tips
on how to succeed at allotment gardening.

Thanks

Daniel
Old 21-02-2004, 10:34 PM
nambucca

"Dan" wrote in message
m...
Hello,

I would like to get started in Allotment gardening but i don't have
any experience at all, could you send any details, information or tips
on how to succeed at allotment gardening.

Thanks

Daniel

Lots of digging to start with probably if the plots covered with weeds
Loads of compost/horse muck to fertilise it with
Theres a good UK magazine called Kitchen Garden thats full of tips on
growing fruit and veg

Old 22-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Franz Heymann

"Dan" wrote in message
m...
Hello,

I would like to get started in Allotment gardening but i don't have
any experience at all, could you send any details, information or tips
on how to succeed at allotment gardening.

Your very first task would be to buy or borrow a book or two on the subject.

Franz

Old 22-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Bob Hobden

"Dan" wrote in message
I would like to get started in Allotment gardening but i don't have
any experience at all, could you send any details, information or tips
on how to succeed at allotment gardening.

For a start you will need a good book on veg growing, and like others have
said, I can't recommend the monthly "Kitchen Garden" highly enough. Ask
questions on here 'cause there are lots of us with allotments (we have two)
and yet others that grow veg in their own backgardens.
You should rotate the veg so after setting aside one portion for permanent
soft fruit, divide the rest of the plot into 4 sections, a couple of poles
each side will do, these are for 1. Potatoes. 2. Brassicas. 3. Legumes,
onions and salad veg. 4. Root crops. These follow each other in that order
around you sections. You incorporate compost/manure before the spuds on each
section.
You are getting into it at just the right time, just before the main
planting season, so you can get it dug over, or as much as you need, and get
your onion sets, shallots, garlic (best planted in October), early peas, in
ASAP.
Will send you something I wrote out for a local lady who was also in your
position.
Good luck
Bob

Old 22-02-2004, 03:28 PM
martin

"Dan" wrote in message
I would like to get started in Allotment gardening but i don't have
any experience at all, could you send any details, information or tips
on how to succeed at allotment gardening.

I recommend

Tony Biggs RHS Vegetables ISBN 0 85533 192 5

The last time I looked www.abebooks.com had several second hand copies
of the cheapest is UKP2 plus p&p
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 22-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Bob Hobden

"martin" wrote in message ...

"Dan" wrote in message
I would like to get started in Allotment gardening but i don't have
any experience at all, could you send any details, information or tips
on how to succeed at allotment gardening.

I recommend

Tony Biggs RHS Vegetables ISBN 0 85533 192 5

The last time I looked www.abebooks.com had several second hand copies
of the cheapest is UKP2 plus p&p
--

Also " The Complete Manuel of Organic Gardening" edited by Basil Caplan ISBN
0 7472 7830 X. Excellent book even though we aren't "organic".

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM