Old 24-02-2004, 12:58 AM
David Rance

Default Bean weevil - Acanthoscelides obtectus

Has anyone else had an infestation of this particular bean weevil? This
is going to be a bit long but please bear with me.

Yesterday lunchtime I noticed that there were half a dozen or so weevils
in our kitchen. There had been one or two on previous days but yesterday
they seemed to be getting more numerous. After lunch I decided to
investigate. To my horror I discovered that my larder of dried beans,
beans both for sowing in spring and for cooking were the source of these
weevils! I have red kidney beans, white kidney beans, French beans and
runners. The biggest infestation was in the red kidney beans - I had to
throw about half of them away - with some of the French beans also
infested. The others were untouched - so far!

I am at a loss to know where the infestation came from as I have grown
beans from my own harvest for years and have never had an infestation
before.

Looking for information on these bean weevils from my own gardening
books did not prove helpful. The only bean weevil known to them (and to
any web pages originating from the UK) is the Sitona lineatus; my
infestation definitely wasn't that.

However, I did find a description which accurately matches my
infestation on several American websites and it turns out that what I
have is Acanthoscelides obtectus. It is widely found in America and
other sub-tropical countries and it accurately describes what I have: a
small triangular beetle with wings, about an eighth of an inch in
length. The proboscis is not pointed but snub. The grub hatches out
within what is an apparently sound bean and cuts a small circular hole
in order to exit. The descriptions I have found seem to imply that they
mate immediately and push their eggs back into the bean, thus
perpetuating the infestation within the stored beans.

And so I have several questions:

Firstly where did this infestation come from? My beans were grown on my
allotment but I haven't heard of any of my neighbours having this
problem. The only thing I did differently this year was to spread some
horse manure on the allotment, but I can't think that the weevil could
have survived in that. But were they infected while growing or did it
happen in storage? The only other possibility is that we had someone
from Zimbabwe staying in our house while we were away last August. Did
he, perhaps, bring some dried beans/peas/pulses with him? Unfortunately
I can't ask him now.

Secondly, is this weevil known at all in Britain? I could find no
reference to an outbreak over here. Since it is devastating should I
report it? If so, to whom? I don't know yet whether I shall lose all my
beans but within a week or two I have lost a good half of one type.
There may still be more to come. I've now put my beans into air-tight
bottles (should have done that long ago) - something about horses and
stable doors comes to mind!

Thirdly, is there any insecticide I can use to prevent further
outbreaks?

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |