Old 24-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Dave Taylor

Default Juniper bushes?

I fancy growing a juniper bush but as yet have not found a source from
which to buy and wonder if they grow well in SE England and what kind of
soil etc would suit. My books don't have much info on this plant.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Jan
London, England
Old 24-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Dave Taylor contains these words:

I fancy growing a juniper bush but as yet have not found a source from
which to buy and wonder if they grow well in SE England and what kind of
soil etc would suit. My books don't have much info on this plant.

Yes, they grow very well. I used to pick about a quart of berries from
my mother's juniper tree. I would expect most nurseries and garden
centres to keep a selection.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 24-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Paul Simonite

The message
from Dave Taylor contains these words:

I fancy growing a juniper bush but as yet have not found a source from
which to buy and wonder if they grow well in SE England and what kind of
soil etc would suit. My books don't have much info on this plant.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Jan
London, England

Why not grow one from seed? Chitern Seeds list three different types of
juniper, the most expensive being £1.78. www.chilternseeds.co.uk

I have three Common Junipers growing in my garden in the far north of
Scotland, the soil is heavy clay, the climate cold wet and windy. The
Chiltern catalogue says of the Juniperus communis: "....varies in form
according to its habitat; from a dwarf shrub in exposed surroundings on
poor soil to a large bush in happier conditions. But always
attractive...."

The following South East nurseries might be able to help with Juniperus
communis:

Hollington Nurseries, Newbury, Berks.
The Conifer Garden, Hare Lane Nursery, Great Missenden, Bucks.
Iden Croft Herbs, Staplehurst, Kent.
Perryhilll Nurseries, Hartfield, E.Sussex.
Hull Farm, Ardleigh, Colchester, Essex.

--
Cheers,
Compo

If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman there to contradict
him, is he still wrong?