GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   a shrub/tree for a new baby (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/53529-shrub-tree-new-baby.html)

jayjay[_1_] 24-02-2004 10:02 PM

a shrub/tree for a new baby

I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?

Frogleg 25-02-2004 05:24 PM

a shrub/tree for a new baby

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:23:30 GMT, jayjay
wrote:

I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?

I think it's a *lovely* idea. Unfortunately have no suggestions for
Aberdeen, but I'd choose something long-lived and hardy that can
reliably be "Susan's Tree" for years to come.

David Rance 25-02-2004 05:30 PM

a shrub/tree for a new baby

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, jayjay wrote:

I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?

I planted an oak tree in honour of my first grandchild nearly ten years
ago. It is now known as Charlie's Oak.

When he is an old man it'll still be a comparatively young tree and he
can shelter beneath its foliage.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

David Rance 25-02-2004 05:38 PM

a shrub/tree for a new baby

David Rance 25-02-2004 05:38 PM

a shrub/tree for a new baby

Saffy 25-02-2004 05:39 PM

a shrub/tree for a new baby

s.com...
--
jayjay

My Brother in law bought a Japanese Maple on the birth of his son and has
kept it in a pot so he can take it with him if he moves house. I have no
idea how well these would fare in Aberdeen, but its thriving in Glasgow!

Saffy.

Mark Warren 25-02-2004 05:57 PM

a shrub/tree for a new baby

"jayjay" wrote in message
s.com...
I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?
--
jayjay

Why not visit a garden centre in Aberdeen, we have some pretty good ones.
They should be able to give you good advice on the local area. Also avoids
transportation problems. This is what I do when I want a plant to mark a
particular occasion and it lets me see what is in flower as flowering times
given in books rarely match the Aberdeen area.

Mark

Neil Jones 25-02-2004 07:12 PM

a shrub/tree for a new baby

"jayjay" wrote in message
s.com...
I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?
--
jayjay

Not exactly answering your question, but when my daughter was born I
looked up her names in the RHS plant finder, and found that there is a
Clematis 'Anna' and a C. alpina 'Constance'. So we bought these, and
they're currently in pots but we intend to put them in the ground in due
course.

Regards

Neil