Old 24-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Registered User

Location: North West England
Default a shrub/tree for a new baby

I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?
Old 25-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:23:30 GMT, jayjay
wrote:

I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?

I think it's a *lovely* idea. Unfortunately have no suggestions for
Aberdeen, but I'd choose something long-lived and hardy that can
reliably be "Susan's Tree" for years to come.
Old 25-02-2004, 05:30 PM
David Rance

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, jayjay wrote:

I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?

I planted an oak tree in honour of my first grandchild nearly ten years
ago. It is now known as Charlie's Oak.

When he is an old man it'll still be a comparatively young tree and he
can shelter beneath its foliage.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 25-02-2004, 05:38 PM
David Rance

Old 25-02-2004, 05:38 PM
David Rance

Old 25-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Saffy

s.com...
--
jayjay

My Brother in law bought a Japanese Maple on the birth of his son and has
kept it in a pot so he can take it with him if he moves house. I have no
idea how well these would fare in Aberdeen, but its thriving in Glasgow!

Saffy.

Old 25-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Mark Warren

"jayjay" wrote in message
s.com...
I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?
--
jayjay

Why not visit a garden centre in Aberdeen, we have some pretty good ones.
They should be able to give you good advice on the local area. Also avoids
transportation problems. This is what I do when I want a plant to mark a
particular occasion and it lets me see what is in flower as flowering times
given in books rarely match the Aberdeen area.

Mark

Old 25-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Neil Jones

"jayjay" wrote in message
s.com...
I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?
--
jayjay

Not exactly answering your question, but when my daughter was born I
looked up her names in the RHS plant finder, and found that there is a
Clematis 'Anna' and a C. alpina 'Constance'. So we bought these, and
they're currently in pots but we intend to put them in the ground in due
course.

Regards

Neil

Old 25-02-2004, 11:11 PM
Neil Jones

"jayjay" wrote in message
s.com...
I am going to see my new grandchild in Aberdeen next week. I am
thinking of buying a rose tree or something that we can plant to mark
her birth. Have you any suggestions but not too outlandish, as I
only have access to quite ordinary garden centres. What grows in
Aberdeen, climbing roses? magnolias?
dwarf flowering cherries? what do you think?
--
jayjay

Not exactly answering your question, but when my daughter was born I
looked up her names in the RHS plant finder, and found that there is a
Clematis 'Anna' and a C. alpina 'Constance'. So we bought these, and
they're currently in pots but we intend to put them in the ground in due
course.

Regards

Neil

My New Baby Bob Williams[_3_] Garden Photos 8 20-06-2009 08:35 AM
Pics of new baby Llama Srgnt Billko Lawns 7 23-10-2006 01:07 AM
2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 12:42 AM
OT, new baby at last Chris French and Helen Johnson United Kingdom 14 24-11-2004 09:30 PM
a shrub/tree for a new baby jayjay United Kingdom 0 24-02-2004 10:02 PM