GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Specimen Tree part Deux (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/53590-specimen-tree-part-deux.html)

Emery Davis 25-02-2004 11:16 PM

Specimen Tree part Deux

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:08:39 +0000, Sacha said:

] Emery Davis25/2/04 10:34
] ]
][]
] I've got a Robinia Pseudoacacia frisia, been in for about 8 years. It's a
] nice tree
] but it takes a lot of wind damage. snip
]
] That is why we tend to advise people buy Gleditisa triacanthos 'Suburst'.
] It doesn't have the same wind damage but does give the most wonderful
] colour.
]

Hi Sacha,

It certainly looks a lot like the Robinia, but does it have flowers? Not that
I've seen any for a while, :(, but the panicules of scented white flowers can
be lovely? I looked it up in my Botanica, but they're not very clear on this point.

cheers,

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

by removing the well known companies

Kay Easton 25-02-2004 11:17 PM

Specimen Tree part Deux

In article , Sacha
writes

They're very inconspicuous so you certainly wouldn't grow them for that. If
flowers and scent are important, what about good old lilac?

But the usual lilac is in flower for about a fortnight and deadly boring
for the rest of the year! One of the species might be OK - we have one
which has purple flowers, not in great abundance, but for a long season
in spring and again in autumn.

Mock oranges have a longer season than lilac, but again aren't much to
look at outside the season.

And of course these are all bushes rather than sepcimen trees.

Another thing that might appeal to you is to grow a Wisteria as a standard
(though this won't get very tall) There are two options to doing this. You
can make an umbrella frame structure and train branches over that, allowing
the rest to flop onto the lawn or you can use one central support and let it
do its own thing from that. As they mature and flower, these look
absolutely spectacular and your neighbours will be clamouring to know what
you're growing. ;-) Three look better than one!

You can even get them ready trained if you're prepared to pay the earth
;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sacha 26-02-2004 08:15 PM

Specimen Tree part Deux

Kay Easton25/2/04 10:33

In article , Sacha
writes

They're very inconspicuous so you certainly wouldn't grow them for that. If
flowers and scent are important, what about good old lilac?

But the usual lilac is in flower for about a fortnight and deadly boring
for the rest of the year! One of the species might be OK - we have one
which has purple flowers, not in great abundance, but for a long season
in spring and again in autumn.

Mock oranges have a longer season than lilac, but again aren't much to
look at outside the season.

And of course these are all bushes rather than sepcimen trees.

Yes, they are but I think the problem with specimen trees is finding one
that flowers and is scented and goes on for a while etc. etc.
If it comes to that, some of the eucalypts would be good but might not fill
all requirements.
If there's space, the other alternative is to grow things that succeed each
other, or perhaps an arbour with things growing over it that flower at
different times. Or a 'barley twist' or teepee of living willow etc. etc.

snip

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Anne Wheeldon 27-02-2004 12:59 AM

Specimen Tree part Deux

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
Hello,

Further to my request for info on interesting specimen trees, I am

now
down to four candidates; acacia dealbata, amelanchier, robinia

pseudoacacia
"frisia", and the Rowan ( Sorbus Aucuparia ).

The Rowan, or Mountain Ash did not show up on the list of
suggestions offered in response to my original question, but I reckon

it's
got
a lot going for it. I was particularly interested in the variety "Joseph
Rock",
allegedly with bright green leaves, white pannicles of flowers in the
spring,
with excellent autumn colours and persistent yellow berries that the

birds
seem to turn their noses up at.

You should see the Fieldfares and Redwings on the Rowan just over the

road.
What a delight.

Peaks out at 25 foot, but 20 foot in 20
years
seems to be the average initial growth rate, so manageable for a small
garden.

Does anyone here have any experience of this variety? I should
appreciate an opinion from someone who has one in their garden, if

they're
looking in,

Franz

Yes I've got loads of experience of this variety. It grows all over Scotland
and sometimes vastly bigger than what you describe but hey that's life in
the real world. it has a lot to offer all year round and the birds like it
too.

Amelanchier is a winner too. Beautiful and reliable can grow to a great
height or be pruned back,

Acacia and robinia ain't so robust in Scotland.
Anne

Sacha 28-02-2004 02:08 AM

Specimen Tree part Deux

Emery Davis25/2/04 6:45

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:08:39 +0000, Sacha
said:

] Emery Davis25/2/04 10:34
]
]
][]
] I've got a Robinia Pseudoacacia frisia, been in for about 8 years. It's a
] nice tree
] but it takes a lot of wind damage. snip
]
] That is why we tend to advise people buy Gleditisa triacanthos 'Suburst'.
] It doesn't have the same wind damage but does give the most wonderful
] colour.
]

Hi Sacha,

It certainly looks a lot like the Robinia, but does it have flowers? Not that
I've seen any for a while, :(, but the panicules of scented white flowers can
be lovely? I looked it up in my Botanica, but they're not very clear on this
point.

cheers,

-E

They're very inconspicuous so you certainly wouldn't grow them for that. If
flowers and scent are important, what about good old lilac? Acacia dealbata
is good and ours which is an offshoot 10 years old, is now over 20' tall,
I'd guess. With a lilac, you need to remember to cut it back a little
each year so that it continues to flower where you can see and smell it.
For something a bit unusual how about Clerodendrum trichotomum fargesii
(highly scented) or a Hoheria (lots of flowers, not a lot of scent) or an
Azara, highly scented but can be a bit 'bossy'. You'd need to check
hardiness in your area for all of these. But if you can grow Acacia
dealbata, you may well be okay with the others.

Sacha 28-02-2004 02:13 AM

Specimen Tree part Deux

Emery Davis25/2/04 6:45

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:08:39 +0000, Sacha
said:

] Emery Davis25/2/04 10:34
]
]