GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   This CFV thang.. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/53756-cfv-thang.html)

David W.E. Roberts 26-02-2004 08:55 PM

This CFV thang..

I have been watching 'uk.net.news.config' for the CFV but it only arrived
very recently, along with another 3,000 posts.

There is now a long thread in 'uk.rec.gardening' in response, but none shown
in 'uk.net.news.config'.

I replied to the CFV - which should have cross posted the reply to the 3 NG
in the original posting - but this reply seems to have disappeared.

So is there some strange thing about replying to CFVs, or is Usenet banjaxed
at the moment?

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. I have managed to vote - awaiting confirmation

Jaques d'Alltrades 26-02-2004 09:12 PM

This CFV thang..

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:
I have been watching 'uk.net.news.config' for the CFV but it only arrived
very recently, along with another 3,000 posts.

There is now a long thread in 'uk.rec.gardening' in response, but none shown
in 'uk.net.news.config'.

I replied to the CFV - which should have cross posted the reply to the 3 NG
in the original posting - but this reply seems to have disappeared.

No, it won't be posted. The reply should be mailed to you automatically.
I hope you used a valid address to reply?

You then snip the bits where instructed, fill in the voting slip, and
e-mail it back to the vote-taker.

So is there some strange thing about replying to CFVs, or is Usenet banjaxed
at the moment?

No. True, one of the replies to my mail did fall in a hole somewhere,
but a replacement was sent as soon as I e-mailed Pedt. You'll find his
official address on the CFV.

HTH

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

David W.E. Roberts 26-02-2004 09:22 PM

This CFV thang..

Jaques, mon cher ami...

Total misunderstanding.

I posted a reply to the NG - in fact the reply should have been cross posted
to the three NGs listed in the original post.

These were shown in the BG response I posted.

However the posted response has not appeared in uk.rec.gardening nor in
uk.net.news.config.

As I stated in the OP, I have voted. (Just got the confirmation back).

I was puzzled over the failure of my post to appear.

snip

David W.E. Roberts 26-02-2004 09:29 PM

This CFV thang..

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
I have been watching 'uk.net.news.config' for the CFV but it only arrived
very recently, along with another 3,000 posts.

There is now a long thread in 'uk.rec.gardening' in response, but none

shown
in 'uk.net.news.config'.

I replied to the CFV - which should have cross posted the reply to the 3

NG
in the original posting - but this reply seems to have disappeared.

snip

Part of the headers:

"From: Pedt Scragg
Newsgroups: uk.net.news.announce,uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gar dening
Subject: 1st CFV : Create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.gardening.allotments
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:05:54 +0000
Expires: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:59:59 +0000

Does the line "Followup-To: poster" do strange things?

My post in reply seems destined for the NGs - but then I am using OE which
may do non-standard things :-(

TIA

Dave R

Chris French and Helen Johnson 27-02-2004 12:49 AM

This CFV thang..

In message , David W.E.
Roberts writes

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
I have been watching 'uk.net.news.config' for the CFV but it only arrived
very recently, along with another 3,000 posts.

There is now a long thread in 'uk.rec.gardening' in response, but none

shown
in 'uk.net.news.config'.

I replied to the CFV - which should have cross posted the reply to the 3

NG
in the original posting - but this reply seems to have disappeared.

snip

Part of the headers:

"From: Pedt Scragg
Newsgroups: uk.net.news.announce,uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gar dening
Does the line "Followup-To: poster" do strange things?

My post in reply seems destined for the NGs - but then I am using OE which
may do non-standard things :-(

'Follow-ups to poster' means that the follow-up you post will only be
sent to the original poster of the message you are replying to, unless
you override the follow-ups.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-02-2004 09:04 AM

This CFV thang..

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

Does the line "Followup-To: poster" do strange things?

My post in reply seems destined for the NGs - but then I am using OE which
may do non-standard things :-(

It would seem (from my admittedly scant knowledge of the machinations of
OE) as if it is directed back to you by e-mail.

I certainly haven't seen it turn up anywhere, despite a search on your
'From:' address.

martin 27-02-2004 11:20 PM

This CFV thang..

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:49:32 GMT, Janet Baraclough ..
wrote:

The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

Yeah... well, I've sent a ballot-form request to that address via my
newsreader service, (giving my true address), and got no reply. I tried
again via email, and it bounced back with a message "the recipient is
not acceptable to your SMPT server".

has anyone else had a problem?

No it worked o.k. for some of us. Perhaps you are in his kill file?
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

David W.E. Roberts 27-02-2004 11:21 PM

This CFV thang..

"Janet Baraclough .." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

Yeah... well, I've sent a ballot-form request to that address via my
newsreader service, (giving my true address), and got no reply. I tried
again via email, and it bounced back with a message "the recipient is
not acceptable to your SMPT server".

has anyone else had a problem?

Janet.

Perhaps if you create a new email message, and cut and paste into it?

I presume you send via an ISP SMTP server, for onward delivery - is it this
server which is rejecting the email?

HTH

Dave R

Jaques d'Alltrades 27-02-2004 11:21 PM

This CFV thang..

The message
from Janet Baraclough .. contains
these words:
The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

Yeah... well, I've sent a ballot-form request to that address via my
newsreader service, (giving my true address), and got no reply. I tried
again via email, and it bounced back with a message "the recipient is
not acceptable to your SMPT server".

You didn't send from the loopback one, did you? Mine got through and
we're using the same ISP.

Both of mine reached base, one ballot paper fell into a hole on the way
back and another made it through.

I wonder whether the recent international trawl for pædos has loused-up
the mail and the news?

Janet Baraclough .. 27-02-2004 11:22 PM

This CFV thang..

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from Janet Baraclough .. contains
these words:
The message
from "David W.E. Roberts" contains these words:

Yeah... well, I've sent a ballot-form request to that address via my
newsreader service, (giving my true address), and got no reply. I tried
again via email, and it bounced back with a message "the recipient is
not acceptable to your SMPT server".

You didn't send from the loopback one, did you? Mine got through and
we're using the same ISP.

Tell me what the loop-back one is :-)

The smpt server refusal was to an email posted in Eudora.

I wonder whether the recent international trawl for pædos has loused-up
the mail and the news?

That might explain why my email spam is reduced this week.

Janet