Old 28-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Pedt

Default One windows box .....

Whilst I'm here ;-) ......

No garden here but I've a window ledge 9inx4ft on the inside of a double
glazed south facing window. Room gets to 30C in the middle of summer
even with all windows open. Min temp at any time is around 18C. The one
in the bedroom is 9inx2ft, rest the same.

As chilli peppers have been previously been OK in a greenhouse up the
road, I was considering having a go here. Is this a good idea or is
there summat better to grow.

Flowers/ornamental plants not an option as they'd need to reach 21in
before I could see anything as the big window sill lurks behind a sofa
- and the smaller one I'd only see when I went to bed in the wee small
hours - so useful rather than ornamental.

--
Pedt
Wrexham
Old 28-02-2004, 07:12 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Pedt" "\"@ wrote in message

Whilst I'm here ;-) ......

No garden here but I've a window ledge 9inx4ft on the inside of a double
glazed south facing window. Room gets to 30C in the middle of summer
even with all windows open. Min temp at any time is around 18C. The one
in the bedroom is 9inx2ft, rest the same.

As chilli peppers have been previously been OK in a greenhouse up the
road, I was considering having a go here. Is this a good idea or is
there summat better to grow.

Flowers/ornamental plants not an option as they'd need to reach 21in
before I could see anything as the big window sill lurks behind a sofa
- and the smaller one I'd only see when I went to bed in the wee small
hours - so useful rather than ornamental.

--
Pedt
Wrexham

Peppers and tomatoes seem to go well on window sills (cills?).
You often see them grown in offices.

What are the chances of a proper window box, outside the window?

A good wide deep box could supply herbs and some veg., or flowering plants
in the summer.

Hmmmm....making me wonder about window boxes on the south side of the house
(even though we have a garden).

Cheers

Dave R

Old 28-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Pedt

David W.E. Roberts said:

"Pedt" "\"@ wrote in message

Whilst I'm here ;-) ......

No garden here but I've a window ledge 9inx4ft on the inside of a double
glazed south facing window. Room gets to 30C in the middle of summer
even with all windows open. Min temp at any time is around 18C. The one
in the bedroom is 9inx2ft, rest the same.

[..]
As chilli peppers have been previously been OK in a greenhouse up the
road, I was considering having a go here. Is this a good idea or is
there summat better to grow.

Ta for the reply.

[snip pepper/tomato]

What are the chances of a proper window box, outside the window?

Very close to nil.

--
Pedt