GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Slope or flat? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/53957-slope-flat.html)

Margus 28-02-2004 11:20 PM

Slope or flat?

Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

Rhiannon S 29-02-2004 12:25 AM

Slope or flat?

Subject: Slope or flat?
From: (Margus)
Date: 28/02/2004 21:29 GMT Standard Time
Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

Not to be flippant (for a change I know), but what's the view like? If the
higher up one has a good view then take it, plus there is less chance of
flooding up slope.

From a purely gardening pov, a slope makes cutting the lawn a pain even if it
is a gentle one. So probably no lawn, a slope generally means good drainage so
less chance of water logging and you can plant plants which prefer dry feet.

I'm sure there is more.

--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/

Janet Baraclough .. 29-02-2004 12:32 AM

Slope or flat?

The message
from (Margus) contains these words:

Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

That would depend on what kind of soil it is, what aspect the slope
has,(south, west etc), whether the house is at the top or bottom of the
slope, facing the slope, whether there's a river/stream close by, who
will use the garden and what you want to do in it.

Janet

Rhiannon S 29-02-2004 12:33 AM

Slope or flat?

Rhiannon S 29-02-2004 12:39 AM

Slope or flat?

JennyC 29-02-2004 07:17 AM

Slope or flat?

"Margus" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

Depends whether you want to landscape it or not. A slope offers more
opportunities but will be more expensive.

See also:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/desig...pages/26.shtml
http://www4.ukstyle.tv/Gardens/Index...cs=486&cs=1663

HTH Jenny

Martin Sykes 29-02-2004 07:32 AM

Slope or flat?

"Margus" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

Is the slope south facing or not?

A south facing slope will get more sun per square metre of ground and a
north-facing slope will get less so you could expect your plants to grow
better on a south-facing slope.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Margus 29-02-2004 07:33 AM

Slope or flat?

emon (Rhiannon S) wrote in message ...

Not to be flippant (for a change I know), but what's the view like? If the
higher up one has a good view then take it, plus there is less chance of
flooding up slope.

I guess there won't be much view from the ground, because of the
houses that will be built around. The view might be OK from the second
floor though, because the house on the slope will get 10-15 feet
height advantage.
For me the potential view is also the main reason why I'm even
considering the slope. Plus there is a hope that we could create more
interesting garden on the slope.

Sue da Nimm 29-02-2004 09:07 AM

Slope or flat?

"Margus" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

We are on a slope - chose the plot because of it.
It has allowed us to have three terraces and a long sloping lawn with a pond
complex at the bottom.
The summerhouse and greenhouses live at the bottom too, giving a gorgeous
view up the garden towards the house.
This view looks brill with all the plants stacking up as you contemplate the
slope.

Margus 29-02-2004 09:20 AM

Slope or flat?

Janet Baraclough .. ::

That would depend on what kind of soil it is, what aspect the slope
has,(south, west etc), whether the house is at the top or bottom of the
slope, facing the slope, whether there's a river/stream close by, who
will use the garden and what you want to do in it.

Janet

Don't know much about the soil. Slope is to the south-west.
House will be most likely at the top of the slope.
Of course there will be some fruit trees and beds for veggies.

Margus

Sacha 29-02-2004 10:20 AM

Slope or flat?

Margus29/2/04 7:29

emon (Rhiannon S) wrote in message

Not to be flippant (for a change I know), but what's the view like? If the
higher up one has a good view then take it, plus there is less chance of
flooding up slope.

I guess there won't be much view from the ground, because of the
houses that will be built around. The view might be OK from the second
floor though, because the house on the slope will get 10-15 feet
height advantage.
For me the potential view is also the main reason why I'm even
considering the slope. Plus there is a hope that we could create more
interesting garden on the slope.

I'd definitely go for the one with the slope and if the view is good,
consider having an 'upside down' living arrangement in the house.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)