Old 28-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Margus

Default Slope or flat?

Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?
Old 29-02-2004, 07:17 AM
JennyC

"Margus" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

Depends whether you want to landscape it or not. A slope offers more
opportunities but will be more expensive.

See also:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/desig...pages/26.shtml
http://www4.ukstyle.tv/Gardens/Index...cs=486&cs=1663

HTH Jenny

Old 29-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Martin Sykes

"Margus" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

Is the slope south facing or not?

A south facing slope will get more sun per square metre of ground and a
north-facing slope will get less so you could expect your plants to grow
better on a south-facing slope.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 29-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Margus" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

We are on a slope - chose the plot because of it.
It has allowed us to have three terraces and a long sloping lawn with a pond
complex at the bottom.
The summerhouse and greenhouses live at the bottom too, giving a gorgeous
view up the garden towards the house.
This view looks brill with all the plants stacking up as you contemplate the
slope.

Old 29-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Margus

Janet Baraclough .. ::

That would depend on what kind of soil it is, what aspect the slope
has,(south, west etc), whether the house is at the top or bottom of the
slope, facing the slope, whether there's a river/stream close by, who
will use the garden and what you want to do in it.

Janet

Don't know much about the soil. Slope is to the south-west.
House will be most likely at the top of the slope.
Of course there will be some fruit trees and beds for veggies.

Margus