Old 02-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Jeff

Default buddleia & veronica

Hi.

Can anyone give me a definitive guide to the best conditions for a
dwarf buddleia davidii. I've planted it in a large glazed pot (a bit
smaller than a rubbish bin), in organic peat free compost, but someone
just told me it would be better in very poor sandy soil. It doesn't
get much direct sun, although that may change as the year progresses -
does it matter? The buddleia at my last house grew well in clay-y
soil, with a lot of sun, but I thought they would grow in pretty much
any conditions...

Also - any advice re conditions for Veronica longifolia 'Blauriesin'
(AKA 'Foester's Blue')

Any comments/advice welcomed.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 02-03-2004, 04:13 AM
Emrys Davies

'Jeff',

Ideally Buddleias should be planted in good loamy soil and in full
sunlight; they are tolerant of lime.

They seem to thrive in all sorts of conditions and I am sure that they
will do well in the conditions which you have described. However, just
in case, take cuttings, 4"-5" long with a heel, of half-ripe lateral
shoots in July or August and they will be sure to grow.

Grow your veronica in loamy, moderately fertile, moist but well drained
soil in full sun or partial shade.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

om...