GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hedging (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/55762-hedging.html)

Campbell Thompson 16-03-2004 01:38 PM

Hedging

I want to plant a new hedge in my back garden and am having problems
deciding what to go for. I have seen an evergreen on my travels that
looks like a Laurel but has lighter green, waxy leaves. I love the
laurel, but have the problem that I don't want to kill next door's
children when they decide to chew on a leaf or two! I have a distance
of about 100m to plant.

Emrys Davies 17-03-2004 04:17 AM

Hedging

Photinia 'Red Robin' looks attractive, if you like something different.

http://www.hgc.ie/plants/hedging.asp

Regards,
EmrysDavies.

"Campbell Thompson" wrote in
message om...

Campbell Thompson 17-03-2004 09:28 AM

Hedging

The thought had crossed my mind, but I was worried that I might come
out and find them stuck to it like barbed wire!!

With regards to the evergreen that I have seen, I think that I will
have to stop and pinch a bit when I see it.

Rod 18-03-2004 01:22 PM

Hedging

On 17 Mar 2004 01:11:06 -0800,
(Campbell Thompson) wrote:

I want to plant a new hedge in my back garden and am having problems
deciding what to go for. I have seen an evergreen on my travels that
looks like a Laurel but has lighter green, waxy leaves. I love the
laurel, but have the problem that I don't want to kill next door's
children when they decide to chew on a leaf or two! I have a distance
of about 100m to plant.

Not strictly evergreen but beech is nice if clipped correctly so it
keeps the brown leaves through the winter. (They go through some
spectacular colour changes before turning completely brown.) Some
forms of Holly (delve deeply - it's a huge and varied genus) would fit
your bill. If you aren't in a very cold place or if you're on the
coast, Escallonias and Griselinia would be good. Laurel can in any
case look very messy if clipped with shears.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Soup 22-03-2004 06:41 PM

Hedging

Soup just had to say
On 17 Mar 2004 01:11:06 -0800,
(Campbell Thompson) wrote:

snip
Some
forms of Holly (delve deeply - it's a huge and varied genus) would fit
your bill.

Be very careful of holly ,if the neighbours or indeed yourself has or are
likely to have children, holly leaves can be quite 'prickly'. Next door
put up a fence to keep our (inherited) holly hedge at bay, hated it with
a passion so eventually I removed it ,took me two days too cut the foliage
from the trunks,had been growing for thirty odd years so the root system
was very 'mature' took me two days too dig the roots out four days in
all just to remove a hedge. Maybe if the hedge had been kept on top
of with regard to pruning and thinning out might have been nicer, but
overgrown and dangerous as it was it had to go.

--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! / \

Soup 22-03-2004 06:46 PM

Hedging

Soup just had to say