GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deterring a puppy (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/55989-deterring-puppy.html)

Alan Jones 18-03-2004 01:21 PM

Deterring a puppy

A friend often brings his 7-month terrier puppy to my home, and it loves to
run about in the garden. Unfortunately it also likes to "worry" and uproot
small plants, and I am concerned about what will happen in a few weeks' time
to the summer bedding.

Is there any harmless stuff I can put round or near the plants that it will
find unpleasant?

Alan Jones

Mike 18-03-2004 01:21 PM

Deterring a puppy

"Alan Jones" wrote in message
A friend often brings his 7-month terrier puppy to my home, and it loves

run about in the garden. Unfortunately it also likes to "worry" and uproot
small plants, and I am concerned about what will happen in a few weeks'

time
to the summer bedding.

Is there any harmless stuff I can put round or near the plants that it

will
find unpleasant?

Alan Jones

Nothing. Train the dog, or more likely, train the owner. Guide Dogs for the
Blind place their Guide Dogs to be with 'Puppy Walkers' who train them from
6 weeks in the case of Labradors and 12 weeks in the case of Alsatians, what
to do and what not to do and were to do it.

Been there, done that, trained the Guide dogs as puppy walkers. Labradors
and Alsatians so don't tell me it cannot be done.

Mike

Mike 18-03-2004 01:21 PM

Deterring a puppy

If you see what you perceive to be as an untrained dog on a lead. Look at
the other end of that lead and you will see an untrained owner.

Mike

Mike 18-03-2004 01:21 PM

Deterring a puppy

Spider 18-03-2004 01:23 PM

Deterring a puppy

Mike wrote in message
If you see what you perceive to be as an untrained dog on a lead. Look at
the other end of that lead and you will see an untrained owner.

Mike

Too true! Both dog and owner need training. It most certainly can be done
.... I train my cat (or cats) to behave better than most dogs (and some of
their owners!) I have seen. If you can't train the owner/your friend
(perhaps understandable), then ask that the dog be kept on a lead.
You have a well-tended garden; the least you can ask of your visiting friend
is that they have a well-tended dog.
You may decide to have Diplomacy .. or self-defence classes first!
Good luck .. sounds like you deserve it!
Spider

Mary Fisher 18-03-2004 01:24 PM

Deterring a puppy

"Mike" wrote in message

"Alan Jones" wrote in message
A friend often brings his 7-month terrier puppy to my home, and it loves

run about in the garden. Unfortunately it also likes to "worry" and

uproot
small plants, and I am concerned about what will happen in a few weeks'

time
to the summer bedding.

Is there any harmless stuff I can put round or near the plants that it

will
find unpleasant?

Alan Jones

Nothing. Train the dog, or more likely, train the owner. Guide Dogs for

the
Blind place their Guide Dogs to be with 'Puppy Walkers' who train them

from
6 weeks in the case of Labradors and 12 weeks in the case of Alsatians,

what
to do and what not to do and were to do it.

I'm so glad someone said that, it was my reaction but I'm not an expert.

I certainly wouldn't allow such a puppy into my garden.

Mary

Simon Avery 18-03-2004 01:26 PM

Deterring a puppy

"Alan Jones" wrote:

Hello Alan

AJ A friend often brings his 7-month terrier puppy to my home,
AJ and it loves to run about in the garden. Unfortunately it
AJ also likes to "worry" and uproot small plants, and I am
AJ concerned about what will happen in a few weeks' time to the
AJ summer bedding.
AJ Is there any harmless stuff I can put round or near the
AJ plants that it will find unpleasant?

Not really. Best bet is to train the dog not to - let him run around
on a long piece of string and as soon as he starts, give him a sharp
tug back and loud "NO" should work after a few tries.

Mike 18-03-2004 01:26 PM

Deterring a puppy

--
Not really. Best bet is to train the dog not to - let him run around
on a long piece of string and as soon as he starts, give him a sharp
tug back and loud "NO" should work after a few tries.

This is how it is done and if required a check chain is used, similar to a
choke chain, but put on in such a way that it goes slack as soon as it is
released, BUT, is it 'his' place to train the dog? I think not. It is up to
the owner to control and train the dog. If not done, what will that dog be
like later?

Mike

martin 18-03-2004 01:27 PM

Deterring a puppy

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:26:47 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

--
Not really. Best bet is to train the dog not to - let him run around
on a long piece of string and as soon as he starts, give him a sharp
tug back and loud "NO" should work after a few tries.

This is how it is done and if required a check chain is used, similar to a
choke chain, but put on in such a way that it goes slack as soon as it is
released, BUT, is it 'his' place to train the dog? I think not. It is up to
the owner to control and train the dog. If not done, what will that dog be
like later?

What's wrong with your shot gun?
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Sacha 18-03-2004 01:27 PM

Deterring a puppy

Mike18/3/04 10:26

--
Not really. Best bet is to train the dog not to - let him run around
on a long piece of string and as soon as he starts, give him a sharp
tug back and loud "NO" should work after a few tries.

This is how it is done and if required a check chain is used, similar to a
choke chain, but put on in such a way that it goes slack as soon as it is
released,

Please don't use a check chain on a really young puppy. 6 months or older
is more than early enough and then only with great caution and very gently.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Annette Shewan 18-03-2004 08:01 PM

Deterring a puppy

Sacha wrote in message . co.uk...
Mike18/3/04 10:26

--
Not really. Best bet is to train the dog not to - let him run around
on a long piece of string and as soon as he starts, give him a sharp
tug back and loud "NO" should work after a few tries.

This is how it is done and if required a check chain is used, similar to a
choke chain, but put on in such a way that it goes slack as soon as it is
released,

Please don't use a check chain on a really young puppy. 6 months or older
is more than early enough and then only with great caution and very gently.

Perhaps you could try keeping the pup occupied while running loose -
throw a ball, play with it etc. Lots of attention and a frim No when
it starts to dig up your plants should do the trick!!
Good Luck
Annette

Mike 18-03-2004 11:19 PM

Deterring a puppy

Perhaps you could try keeping the pup occupied while running loose -
throw a ball, play with it etc. Lots of attention and a frim No when
it starts to dig up your plants should do the trick!!
Good Luck
Annette

The trouble with this Annette is that yes the dog 'will' learn to 'behave
itself' whilst at this house, but unless the owner is prepared to continue
the training at home, and on other visits, then it is a waste of time. Dog
training within the home, and outside on visits, is a continual practice.

Its the same when a dog jumps up at you, a firm hand on the bridge of the
dog's nose pushed back down, with a firm NO will cure that, but if the owner
is quite prepared for the dog to jump up all over them, then you are onto a
loser.

Sasha says that a check chain should not be put on a dog under 6 months.
Training starts from when the dog leaves the Bitch. If a sharp pull on the
lead is not doing the job after a couple of weeks training, then a check
chain it should be, BUT, please remember that there is a correct way to put
one on, and of course a small puppy should have a small chain on and under
NO circumstances should a child be allowed to walk a dog which has a check
chain on for training.

If anyone wants to know HOW to put a check chain on a dog, go to dog
training instructions. This is something which HAS to be demonstrated by a
trained instructor so that the consequences of an incorrect fitting can be
shown.

Mike

Janet Tweedy 19-03-2004 09:14 AM

Deterring a puppy

In article , Annette
Shewan writes

Perhaps you could try keeping the pup occupied while running loose -
throw a ball, play with it etc. Lots of attention and a frim No when
it starts to dig up your plants should do the trick!!
Good Luck
Annette

But what kind of friend stands by when his puppy is digging up his
friend's obviously well loved and tended garden?
Not much of one !

All the people who bring dogs to my garden would be horrified if they
saw them digging up a shrub or plant and would certainly step in and
check the behaviour (albeit in a gentle manner if it's a puppy)
I think the gardener's making a rod for his own back, chances are the
dog will learn that he's allowed to do this type of thing and the more
he's allowed the more reinforced the message will be.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Mike 19-03-2004 10:12 AM

Deterring a puppy

I would be interested to hear from the original poster, as to what he thinks
of the contributions to this thread. I is certainly a very emotive subject.

Mike
Sitting here listening to the weather chucking it down and blowing a hooly
:-(

martin 19-03-2004 10:43 AM

Deterring a puppy

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:08:53 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

I would be interested to hear from the original poster, as to what he thinks
of the contributions to this thread. I is certainly a very emotive subject.

I suggest you treat it the same way as you would a cat.