Old 26-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Spider

Default Rose "Kiftsgate"

Franz Heymann wrote in message
In a fit of enthusiasm, my wife and I fell for a specimen of
this rose, and are now considering what to do with it.
We have a very ugly small tree which flowers to an almost
negligible extent, and has barely enough leaves to keep it
alive. It occured to us to just let the Kiftsgate loose on
it, without bothering with any regular training. Is this a
viable or a bum idea?

Franz

Small tree .. big rose? Does not compute.
Can't you let it take over the house instead? If you were kind to it, it
might let you in the door .. sometimes.
Spider

Old 26-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Malcolm

In article , Franz Heymann
writes
In a fit of enthusiasm, my wife and I fell for a specimen of
this rose, and are now considering what to do with it.
We have a very ugly small tree which flowers to an almost
negligible extent, and has barely enough leaves to keep it
alive. It occured to us to just let the Kiftsgate loose on
it, without bothering with any regular training. Is this a
viable or a bum idea?

That depends whether you want to ever go near the ugly small tree again.
Kiftsgate annual growth is phenomenal. And its thorns are the nearest
thing to WMD in a rose that I've ever seen! In fact, if someone could
breed it as a hedging plant, it wouldn't just stop sheep, cattle, dogs
and burglars, but tanks as well. Ours climbs up the wall of an old barn,
with suitable (strong) supports, and regularly sends shoots several feet
into the barn roof by lifting the tiles.

--
Malcolm

Kiftsgate Alan Anglesey Roses 2 06-07-2010 09:21 PM
Tis better to be Gills "Chew Toy" than one of Roy "Tristain" Hauer's "SOCKS" Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 02:39 PM
Growth rates (Rose Kiftsgate, Halesia monticola) Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 11 26-03-2005 05:25 PM