Old 29-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Raymond RUSSELL

Default Best way to protect cherries

Hello all

Our two cherry trees have a load of fruit buds this year.
A few friends have advised spraying before the buds open
and then again later against fruit flies and maggots.

1) Is there an environmentally friendly alternative to the commercial
sprays ?
2) What is the best procedure, timetable etc. ?

Best wishes from Ray

Old 29-03-2004, 12:08 PM
J Jackson

Raymond RUSSELL wrote:
: Hello all

: Our two cherry trees have a load of fruit buds this year.
: A few friends have advised spraying before the buds open
: and then again later against fruit flies and maggots.

: 1) Is there an environmentally friendly alternative to the commercial
: sprays ?
: 2) What is the best procedure, timetable etc. ?

Do you know you have maggot problems in your area? I have 2 cherry trees
and have no fruit/fly maggot problem - I don't spray.

However I do have bird problems, and they need netting, but that doesn't
keep out the wasps, which are the 2nd biggest problem. If you have a wasp
nest nearby, they can devastate your cherry crop!