GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ivy and stuff (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/57661-ivy-stuff.html)

Paul Stephens 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

Hi

I'm pretty new to gardening and was wondering if someone might help. The
fence at the bottom of my garden is covered in some sort of ivy all year
round. It's beginning to grow more rapidly now and in the summer it's
rampant. How best can I treat this?

http://www.funnyphoto.plus.com/garden/garden1.jpg

http://www.funnyphoto.plus.com/garden/garden2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Paul

(I'm in Hertfordshire))

Nick Maclaren 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

In article ,
"Paul Stephens" writes:

| I'm pretty new to gardening and was wondering if someone might help. The
| fence at the bottom of my garden is covered in some sort of ivy all year
| round. It's beginning to grow more rapidly now and in the summer it's
| rampant. How best can I treat this?

Yes, it's ivy. You can perfectly well ignore it if you want to.
Many people prefer it to a bare fence. What is the problem?
Do you want to grow something else, or what?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

JennyC 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Paul Stephens" writes:

| I'm pretty new to gardening and was wondering if someone might help. The
| fence at the bottom of my garden is covered in some sort of ivy all year
| round. It's beginning to grow more rapidly now and in the summer it's
| rampant. How best can I treat this?

Yes, it's ivy. You can perfectly well ignore it if you want to.
Many people prefer it to a bare fence. What is the problem?
Do you want to grow something else, or what?
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You can prune it really hard to keep it in check.
But as Nick says, what is the problem with it?

Getting rid of it will be hard work :~)
Jenny

JennyC 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

Paul Stephens 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

The reason I asked is that in the Summer it encroaches on the new patio I
have built and seems to work it's way into the middle of the garden. I also
to also get some horrible trailing stuff with white flowers that seems to
stick and wrap itself around everything - is that bind weed?

I guess the hard pruning is the option. You're right, it would look better
than bare fence panels and I think it's actually holding the fence together,
which is pretty rotten!

Thnx

Paul

Paul Stephens 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

JennyC 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

"Paul Stephens" paulNO wrote in message
The reason I asked is that in the Summer it encroaches on the new patio I
have built and seems to work it's way into the middle of the garden. I also
to also get some horrible trailing stuff with white flowers that seems to
stick and wrap itself around everything - is that bind weed?

Sounds like it.

I guess the hard pruning is the option. You're right, it would look better
than bare fence panels and I think it's actually holding the fence together,
which is pretty rotten!
Thnx Paul

You can be really brutal with it - it will come back

JennyC 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

Nick Maclaren 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

In article ,
"JennyC" writes:
| "Paul Stephens" paulNO wrote in message
| The reason I asked is that in the Summer it encroaches on the new patio I
| have built and seems to work it's way into the middle of the garden. I also
| to also get some horrible trailing stuff with white flowers that seems to
| stick and wrap itself around everything - is that bind weed?
|
| Sounds like it.

There are two common species - the greater, with 2" white trumpets,
and the smaller, with 1" pink and white striped ones. Very decorative,
but a complete thug.

| I guess the hard pruning is the option. You're right, it would look better
| than bare fence panels and I think it's actually holding the fence together,
| which is pretty rotten!
| Thnx Paul
|
| You can be really brutal with it - it will come back

Quite.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

Victoria Clare 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

"Paul Stephens" paulNO wrote in
:

The reason I asked is that in the Summer it encroaches on the new
patio I have built and seems to work it's way into the middle of the
garden. I also to also get some horrible trailing stuff with white
flowers that seems to stick and wrap itself around everything - is
that bind weed?

I guess the hard pruning is the option. You're right, it would look
better than bare fence panels and I think it's actually holding the
fence together, which is pretty rotten!

I've found that it's good with ivy to try to define the space a bit. If
you have a strip of grass along in front of it that you can easily mow,
it can't come creeping out into your flowerbeds and lawn. Or I have once
place where I've put a line of slates on end, and just chop the ends off
when they come creeping over it.

You can also treat it like a hedge and just chop it back with a hedge
cutter. The cut-off bits will compost well if you can bung the odd load of
grass clippings in with them.

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Dcjtee 02-04-2004 04:21 AM

Ivy and stuff

How best can I treat this?

Just cut the stem at ground level. It will die in a few weeks.

Dave

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net