Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Paul Stephens

Default Ivy and stuff

Hi

I'm pretty new to gardening and was wondering if someone might help. The
fence at the bottom of my garden is covered in some sort of ivy all year
round. It's beginning to grow more rapidly now and in the summer it's
rampant. How best can I treat this?

http://www.funnyphoto.plus.com/garden/garden1.jpg

http://www.funnyphoto.plus.com/garden/garden2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Paul

(I'm in Hertfordshire))

Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Paul Stephens" writes:

| I'm pretty new to gardening and was wondering if someone might help. The
| fence at the bottom of my garden is covered in some sort of ivy all year
| round. It's beginning to grow more rapidly now and in the summer it's
| rampant. How best can I treat this?

Yes, it's ivy. You can perfectly well ignore it if you want to.
Many people prefer it to a bare fence. What is the problem?
Do you want to grow something else, or what?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Nick Maclaren

Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
JennyC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Paul Stephens" writes:

| I'm pretty new to gardening and was wondering if someone might help. The
| fence at the bottom of my garden is covered in some sort of ivy all year
| round. It's beginning to grow more rapidly now and in the summer it's
| rampant. How best can I treat this?

Yes, it's ivy. You can perfectly well ignore it if you want to.
Many people prefer it to a bare fence. What is the problem?
Do you want to grow something else, or what?
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You can prune it really hard to keep it in check.
But as Nick says, what is the problem with it?

Getting rid of it will be hard work :~)
Jenny

Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
JennyC

Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Paul Stephens

The reason I asked is that in the Summer it encroaches on the new patio I
have built and seems to work it's way into the middle of the garden. I also
to also get some horrible trailing stuff with white flowers that seems to
stick and wrap itself around everything - is that bind weed?

I guess the hard pruning is the option. You're right, it would look better
than bare fence panels and I think it's actually holding the fence together,
which is pretty rotten!

Thnx

Paul

Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Paul Stephens

Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Dcjtee

How best can I treat this?

Just cut the stem at ground level. It will die in a few weeks.

Dave

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 AM
Dcjtee

How best can I treat this?

Just cut the stem at ground level. It will die in a few weeks.

Dave

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
How do you get rid of 5-leaf ivy and some other stuff? I Love Lucy Lawns 22 06-06-2006 03:11 AM
Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 04:07 PM