Old 06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
TheGardener

Default Ranunculus ficaria 'Brazen Hussy'

I have been e-mailed by a French student, who is making a dossier on
Ranunculus ficaria 'Brazen Hussy'. He wants to know if it is a naturally
occurring variation, and if so, where is it found, or whether it is a plant
which has been developed genetically and only available commercially.

Although I have the plant in my garden, I don't know the answer to the above
questions. Can anybody help?

Chrissie
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Sacha

TheGardener6/4/04 11:12

I have been e-mailed by a French student, who is making a dossier on
Ranunculus ficaria 'Brazen Hussy'. He wants to know if it is a naturally
occurring variation, and if so, where is it found, or whether it is a plant
which has been developed genetically and only available commercially.

Although I have the plant in my garden, I don't know the answer to the above
questions. Can anybody help?

I found this:
"The last, seen in the third photo, has off-white blooms & is called
"Crawshay Cream." It originated as a cross between a natural pure white
variant ("Albus") with normal green leaves, hybridized with the likewise
naturally-occurring "Brazen Hussy," resulting in green & plum mottled leaves
& cream colored bloom."

Here's the url:
http://www.paghat.com/ranunculusficaria.html

and there's this from the bottom of an article on Ranunculus with the url
below:
"John RL Carter (M.A.) is proprietor of Rowden Gardens, Brentor, Nr.
Tavistock, Devon, PL19 0NG. Tel: +44 (0) 1822 810275 The nursery and gardens
hold a large collection of rare and unusual plants and he 'battles to get
the gardening back into water gardening'. John is President of the Devon
Group of the NCCPG and holds two National Collections - Fallopia /
Persicaria and Ranunculus ficaria. Catalogue available £1.50. "

http://www.plants-magazine.com/Artic...ional115.shtml

I should think a call to Mr Carter would sort out any questions.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Tom Bennett

"TheGardener" wrote in I have been e-mailed by a French student, who is
making a dossier on
Ranunculus ficaria 'Brazen Hussy'. He wants to know if it is a

naturally
occurring variation, and if so, where is it found, or whether it is a

plant
which has been developed genetically and only available commercially.

Although I have the plant in my garden, I don't know the answer to the

above
questions. Can anybody help?

Found by Christopher Lloyd, growing naturally in a small wood ("Four Acre
Shaw") close to his home and gardens, Great Dixter in East Sussex.

Named and put up by him to the RHS who gave it an Award of Merit. He goes
on to say that there are other purple-leaved clones around that have
arisen as sports from Ranunculus ficaria.

(see: The Year at Great Dixter p. 48. by C. Lloyd. First published by
Penguin Books in 1987. ISBN No. 0-670-80982-9)

IME, it is fairly widely available at garden centres.

- Tom.

Weed of the Week: Pilewort (Ranunculus ficaria) [1/1] Mad Cow Garden Photos 2 29-03-2014 07:52 AM
brazen hussy H Ryder United Kingdom 2 20-03-2006 09:00 PM
Ranunculus ficaria 'Brazen Hussy' TheGardener United Kingdom 5 07-04-2004 12:04 AM
When should we plant Ranunculus in Melbourne John Wilkins Australia 0 04-03-2003 07:49 AM
Growing Ranunculus from seed S. McLaren Australia 0 02-12-2002 03:46 AM