GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Christmas Cactus in bloom. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/58328-christmas-cactus-bloom.html)

06-04-2004 09:51 PM

Christmas Cactus in bloom.

My mother in law has a Christmas Cactus in full bloom.
It flowered really well at Christmas and it is even better now. What has she
done wrong/right.?
Tom Atkinson

Dcjtee 06-04-2004 09:52 PM

Christmas Cactus in bloom.

My mother in law has a Christmas Cactus in full bloom.

Maybe it's an Easter cactus?

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

06-04-2004 09:52 PM

Christmas Cactus in bloom.

No-it always blooms at Christmas-this is a bonus now.
Tom Atkinson

Buzzy Bee 06-04-2004 09:52 PM

Christmas Cactus in bloom.

On 06 Apr 2004 16:20:35 GMT, (Dcjtee) wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
My mother in law has a Christmas Cactus in full bloom.

Maybe it's an Easter cactus?

I've never been able to tell the difference!

My Grandmother had one that bloomed at all sorts of times, though
never at Easter or Christmas, though that might have been because it
was in the southern hemisphere :)

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com

Bob Hobden 06-04-2004 10:39 PM

Christmas Cactus in bloom.

"Buzzy Bee" wrote in message :

My mother in law has a Christmas Cactus in full bloom.

Maybe it's an Easter cactus?

I've never been able to tell the difference!

The Easter Cactus has flowers that open wide, almost daisy like, whereas the
Christmas Cactus has flowers rather tube like.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Kase 07-04-2004 09:04 AM

Christmas Cactus in bloom.

wrote in message
My mother in law has a Christmas Cactus in full bloom.
It flowered really well at Christmas and it is even better now. What has

she
done wrong/right.?
Tom Atkinson

I have a bunch of Christmas cacti, all different colours and they all flower
in November/December, and then again in March/April/May depending on the
weather (and therefore the light conditions). The only things that I do are
feed regularly when the plant starts to bud, and then I stop watering when
the flowers start to fade until the last one has fallen off. Then back to
normal watering with an occasional feed. So I get two flowering seasons and
then there is a leaf producing season in the other 'third' of the year
(summer). The old way of treating these plants was to starve them of food
and water for most of the year, which seems wrong to me as I think that they
are epiphytes (not cactus) and would have plenty of water in the tree
canopies.

Mark Warren 07-04-2004 09:04 AM

Christmas Cactus in bloom.

wrote in message
My mother in law has a Christmas Cactus in full bloom.
It flowered really well at Christmas and it is even better now. What has

she
done wrong/right.?

I don't know, but the one in my kitchen is doing exactly the same. The one
upstairs seems to be more sensible and only flowered around Christmas.

Mark