GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plants that cats don't like ...? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/58653-plants-cats-dont-like.html)

al 11-04-2004 02:05 PM

Plants that cats don't like ...?

Not wanting to start the whole pro/anti-cat war again, but could someone
point me in the right direction for a plant that discourages cats? I
believe such a thing is reasonably readily available in garden centres and
that cats can't stand the smell?

al 11-04-2004 09:04 PM

Plants that cats don't like ...?

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
Marigolds and flowering tobacco are two.

Really? I'd heard that sprinkling tobacco ash on the beds helped, but as I
don't smoke that isn't much use! What's with the above two? Didn't think
marigolds gave off any sort of repellent smell? Don't know what flowering
tobacco is ... will go Google pic it ;)

al 11-04-2004 09:05 PM

Plants that cats don't like ...?

"al" wrote in message
Really? I'd heard that sprinkling tobacco ash on the beds helped, but as

don't smoke that isn't much use! What's with the above two? Didn't think
marigolds gave off any sort of repellent smell? Don't know what flowering
tobacco is ... will go Google pic it ;)

Just seen some flowering tobacco and it looks ok - however it seems to like
full sun and it's poisonous. My bed in question is mostly shaded until
high-summer, when it gets about half a day of sun (the latter half). Also
the garden needs to be child-friendly, though I'm not sure just how
poisonous they are.

Kay Easton 11-04-2004 10:03 PM

Plants that cats don't like ...?

In article , al
writes
"al" wrote in message
Really? I'd heard that sprinkling tobacco ash on the beds helped, but as

don't smoke that isn't much use! What's with the above two? Didn't think
marigolds gave off any sort of repellent smell? Don't know what flowering
tobacco is ... will go Google pic it ;)

Just seen some flowering tobacco and it looks ok - however it seems to like
full sun and it's poisonous. My bed in question is mostly shaded until
high-summer, when it gets about half a day of sun (the latter half). Also
the garden needs to be child-friendly, though I'm not sure just how
poisonous they are.

You will find it very difficult to produce a garden without a single
plant which is poisonous.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sacha 12-04-2004 10:34 AM

Plants that cats don't like ...?

al11/4/04 8:56
@ne ws-binary.blueyonder.co.uk

"al" wrote in message
Really? I'd heard that sprinkling tobacco ash on the beds helped, but as

don't smoke that isn't much use! What's with the above two? Didn't think
marigolds gave off any sort of repellent smell? Don't know what flowering
tobacco is ... will go Google pic it ;)

Just seen some flowering tobacco and it looks ok - however it seems to like
full sun and it's poisonous. My bed in question is mostly shaded until
high-summer, when it gets about half a day of sun (the latter half). Also
the garden needs to be child-friendly, though I'm not sure just how
poisonous they are.

You will find it easier to make a list of plants that *aren't* poisonous
than one of those that are. Most plants are toxic to some degree, including
daffodil bulbs. I think you will find that the RHS hasn't reported any
plant related deaths in simply years. I might not suggest planting Ricinus
but I've seen plenty of it in municipal planting in France!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Rhiannon S 12-04-2004 11:04 AM

Plants that cats don't like ...?

Subject: Plants that cats don't like ...?
From: Kay Easton
Date: 11/04/2004 21:28 GMT Daylight Time

You will find it very difficult to produce a garden without a single
plant which is poisonous.

Not impossible though, I knew someone who managed to keep a 100% edible garden
without it turning into a vegetable patch. It would be an interesting project
to do.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/

Janet Baraclough.. 12-04-2004 10:07 PM

Plants that cats don't like ...?

The message
from emon (Rhiannon S) contains these words:

From: Kay Easton

Date: 11/04/2004 21:28 GMT Daylight Time

You will find it very difficult to produce a garden without a single
plant which is poisonous.

Not impossible though, I knew someone who managed to keep a 100%
edible garden
without it turning into a vegetable patch. It would be an interesting
project
to do.

Hmmmmmmmm. Even edible plants aren't always 100% edible. Rhubarb and
potato leaves are toxic, for example, so are potato fruits. (Aren't
tomato and marigold leaves also poisonous?).

Janet.

Ben Blackmore 13-04-2004 03:04 PM

Plants that cats don't like ...?

I saw one in a catalogue about a month ago, it was a crossbreed, apparently
3 or 4 different plants/shrubs that cats don't like all inter-breed to make
1 seriously bad smelling plant to cats, but also one that humans couldn't
smell as at all!

Can't remember the plant or the catalogue at the moment, but I will check if
we still have it tonight, it was one of those free sunday paper things, with
mail order plants!

Ben

Ben Blackmore 13-04-2004 03:39 PM

Plants that cats don't like ...?