GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identification help, please. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/58786-identification-help-please.html)

Ewan 13-04-2004 12:46 PM

Identification help, please.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks,

I was hoping someone in this formum would be able to identify a bush that's growing in my garden.

It's flowering at the moment. The flowers are 8-10mm across and the leaves and branches are quite thorny.

I've attached a picture for reference and there are some more he

http://www.globalphotosite.org/photo...=500&ppuser=56

Thanks.

Inge Jones 13-04-2004 01:32 PM

Identification help, please.

In article m,
says...
Hi folks,

I was hoping someone in this formum would be able to identify a bus
that's growing in my garden.

Looks like some sort of cotoneaster?

Inge Jones 13-04-2004 02:09 PM

Identification help, please.

In article ,
says...

Looks like some sort of cotoneaster?

Oh hang on, cotoneaster are not all that spikey I don't think. Try the
other one like it, pyracantha. I always get them mixed up.

--
http://www.simlogical.com
Behaviour modified objects for behaviour modification

Kay Easton 13-04-2004 02:11 PM

Identification help, please.

In article , Inge Jones
writes
In article m,
says...
Hi folks,

I was hoping someone in this formum would be able to identify a bus
that's growing in my garden.

Looks like some sort of cotoneaster?

Cotoneaster aren't usually spiny.

Berberis
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Victoria Clare 13-04-2004 02:33 PM

Identification help, please.

Inge Jones wrote in news:MPG.1ae5ebdd5e9de69398a0b4
@text.giganews.com:

In article ,
says...

Looks like some sort of cotoneaster?

Oh hang on, cotoneaster are not all that spikey I don't think. Try the
other one like it, pyracantha. I always get them mixed up.

Nope, not that one either. I think you mean berberis, which is another
common garden hedging plant often recommended against intruders.

I think this one is berberis darwinii, but could be wrong ;-)

Victoria

--
Clare Associates Ltd
http://www.clareassoc.co.uk/

Kay Easton 13-04-2004 02:33 PM

Identification help, please.

In article , Inge Jones
writes
In article ,
says...

Looks like some sort of cotoneaster?

Oh hang on, cotoneaster are not all that spikey I don't think. Try the
other one like it, pyracantha. I always get them mixed up.

Pyracantha flowers later and has white flowers, but you're right, it is
similar to the small leaved cotoneasters in that it has oval dark green
leaves and white flowers.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Inge Jones 13-04-2004 02:35 PM

Identification help, please.

In article ,
says...

Pyracantha flowers later and has white flowers, but you're right, it is
similar to the small leaved cotoneasters in that it has oval dark green
leaves and white flowers.

Ok so I'm gradually getting there... :D

Cicero 13-04-2004 07:34 PM

Identification help, please.

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.218...
Inge Jones wrote in news:MPG.1ae5ebdd5e9de69398a0b4
@text.giganews.com:

In article ,
says...

Looks like some sort of cotoneaster?

Oh hang on, cotoneaster are not all that spikey I don't think. Try the
other one like it, pyracantha. I always get them mixed up.

Nope, not that one either. I think you mean berberis, which is another
common garden hedging plant often recommended against intruders.

I think this one is berberis darwinii, but could be wrong ;-)

Victoria

=================
I agree - it appears to be Berberis Darwinii. The leaves are like miniature
holly leaves and the yellow flowers are due about now.

Cic.

Bob Hobden 13-04-2004 11:03 PM

"Cicero" wrote in message
=================
I agree - it appears to be Berberis Darwinii. The leaves are like

miniature
holly leaves and the yellow flowers are due about now.

take a look at..... http://www.goldenbough.co.uk/q.k/1-124

regards
Bob.

Emery Davis 14-04-2004 12:33 AM

Identification help, please.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:09:09 +0100, Victoria Clare said:

[]
] I think this one is berberis darwinii, but could be wrong ;-)
]
[]

I think you're right, though. I've got a couple just coming into bloom now.

Gas station near here has one the size of a pretty big shed! :)

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

Ewan 14-04-2004 08:51 AM

Identification help, please.

Spot on! Thanks very much everyone - you've been most helpful.

Kind regards,
Ewan