Old 18-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Gerry Hooper

Default Garden Furniture with Textilene - Durability?

Hi, I've decided that it's time to treat the garden to some new
furniture and am considering purchasing some metal framed chairs with
Textilene inserts. My only concern is the durability of this design.
Does anyone have any experience of this type of garden furniture -
will the fabric stretch/sag, and will it be affected by sunlight etc?

Any advice would be greatfully apprecieated.

Cheers,

Gerry
Old 19-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Victoria Clare

(Gerry Hooper) wrote in
om:

Hi, I've decided that it's time to treat the garden to some new
furniture and am considering purchasing some metal framed chairs with
Textilene inserts. My only concern is the durability of this design.
Does anyone have any experience of this type of garden furniture -
will the fabric stretch/sag, and will it be affected by sunlight etc?

Any advice would be greatfully apprecieated.

I'm not sure if this is exactly the same stuff that my aluminium framed
chairs have for seats, but if not it's something very similar.

I've had mine a couple of years: they are very comfortable and don't
seem to have aged at all. I can't say they have had heavy daily use,
but they have been outside all the time. They are still good enough
that we used them inside when we had a load of people over to watch
films.

I was expecting the fabric to go green (EVERYTHING round here gets algae
growing on it: it's so damp and the air is very clean) but so far, so
good, and they seem to dry off very quickly too. If they do go green, I
shall give them a once-over with Jeyes Fluid.

Generally I'm very pleased, and if the fabric does start failing in a
few years time, it doesn't look hard to replace, assuming I can find a
supplier. If not, well, they were cheap, and aluminium is fairly
recyclable.

The aluminium frames and fabric inserts make them very light: they feel
reasonably solid, but they might bend if they blew about, so if you have
a windy garden you may want to think again (assuming the ones you are
looking at are also aluminium).

HTH
Victoria
--