Old 26-04-2004, 06:06 PM
J Jackson

Default Growing Bilberries

David Hill wrote:

: Have you thought of air layering?

ooo sounds technical. I've heard of that but never tried it.
Or maybe it's trade joke (like sending an aprecntice to the stores for a
long stand) - air layering is sort of like air guitar :-) All waving
hands.

Old 27-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Kay Easton

In article , J Jackson
writes
David Hill wrote:

: Have you thought of air layering?

ooo sounds technical. I've heard of that but never tried it.

Dead easy - you'd have no problems with it.
Wound the chosen twig, wrap it in compost of your choice (whatever you
usually do cuttings in) - you need a lump about the size of a rather
thin hen's egg, wrap the compost in clingfilm to keep it moist, and wait
for roots to appear. When you have a good bunch of roots visible, you
can cut the twig and pot it up as if it were a cutting.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 02-05-2004, 08:05 AM

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:05:38 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Yes. They will need acidic ericaceous peat based compost and they may
well be fussy about growing at all in a garden - unless it is very windy
and you can maintain the right balance of moorland water and drought.

You are probably better off growing high bush blueberries, and going out
on the moors to harvest free natural bilberries when they are in season.

Hello,

I'm new here so I'm certainly no expert. I bought the book "The Fruit
Expert" by D G Hessayon available at Amazon or most garden centres.
There is only a small paragraph near the back about bilberries and it
says much as the quote above: that they like acid, ericaceous, soil
that must be moist.

I would not let that put you off though, and beauty is in the eye of
the beholder. Stop being so pessimistic everyone You'll never know
if they will grow unless you try; there has to be a first time for
everything. Isn't it worth trying to just for the flavour of home
grown berries?

Let us know how you get on.

Bilberries/Wortleberries/Whinberries Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 0 05-08-2010 09:53 AM
What is this growing in my garden? picture 2 S_edge 15th Oct 2009 growing in my garden 02 S_edge.JPG [2/2] swordedge[_3_] Garden Photos 0 15-10-2009 10:47 AM
What is this growing in my garden? picture 2 S_edge 15th Oct 2009 growing in my garden 02 S_edge.JPG [1/2] swordedge[_3_] Garden Photos 0 15-10-2009 10:47 AM
Bilberries paghat Gardening 0 04-08-2004 12:00 AM
how to get rid of fast growing grass in low growing lawn? Steve Gardening 1 18-07-2004 06:02 PM