GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   House plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/59481-house-plants.html)

Jackie D 20-04-2004 04:23 PM

House plants

Hi

I have an umbrella plant that I need to re-pot.

Do I need to place it in a plastic pot with drainage holes before I put it inside a decorative pot, or can I pot it straight into a decorative pot?

thanks

Franz Heymann 20-04-2004 10:07 PM

House plants

"Jackie D" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi

I have an umbrella plant that I need to re-pot.

Do I need to place it in a plastic pot with drainage holes before I

put
it inside a decorative pot, or can I pot it straight into a

decorative
pot?

It is best to pot it into a plastic pot with drainage holes. If you
potted it directly into a decorative pot, you would have to be
*exceedingly* careful with watering, otherwise you will make a potted
bog.

Franz

David Hill 20-04-2004 11:09 PM

House plants

What do you mean by umbrella plant? is it Cyperus alternifolia
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2532/

or Schefflera actinophylla http://mgonline.com/schefflera.html

or Darmera peltata http://www.msue.msu.edu/imp/modzz/00002104.html

or PELTIPHYLLUM PELTATUM
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chiltern...cordID=BFBCBCF

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Mike Lyle 21-04-2004 01:15 PM

House plants

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
What do you mean by umbrella plant? is it Cyperus alternifolia
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2532/

or Schefflera actinophylla http://mgonline.com/schefflera.html

or Darmera peltata http://www.msue.msu.edu/imp/modzz/00002104.html

or PELTIPHYLLUM PELTATUM
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chiltern...cordID=BFBCBCF

It's probably a Heptapleurum.

Mike.

Gloxinia 21-04-2004 04:05 PM

House plants

"Jackie D" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi

I have an umbrella plant that I need to re-pot.

Do I need to place it in a plastic pot with drainage holes before I put
it inside a decorative pot, or can I pot it straight into a decorative
pot?

thanks
--
Jackie D

Pot with drainage holes goes inside your fancy pot .

Jackie D 22-04-2004 09:40 AM

House plants

Quote:

Originally posted by Franz Heymann
"Jackie D" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi

I have an umbrella plant that I need to re-pot.

Do I need to place it in a plastic pot with drainage holes before I

put
it inside a decorative pot, or can I pot it straight into a

decorative
pot?

It is best to pot it into a plastic pot with drainage holes. If you
potted it directly into a decorative pot, you would have to be
*exceedingly* careful with watering, otherwise you will make a potted

bog.

Franz

Thank you Franz. That was my first instinct

Jackie

Jackie D 26-04-2004 10:45 AM

House plants

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Lyle
"David Hill" wrote in message ...
What do you mean by umbrella plant? is it Cyperus alternifolia
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2532/

or Schefflera actinophylla http://mgonline.com/schefflera.html

or Darmera peltata http://www.msue.msu.edu/imp/modzz/00002104.html

or PELTIPHYLLUM PELTATUM
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chiltern...cordID=BFBCBCF

It's probably a Heptapleurum.

Mike.

Hi Mike

It's actually a Schefflera Var. Would you know why it's losing its variegated leaves and what I can do about it?

Thanks
Jackie