Old 23-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Tracy

Default Broad Beans

Can I plant broad beans into trays for the coldframe, before transplanting
in the garden afterwards muchlike my runner beans? The packet shows no
reference to this...

thanks a lot

Old 23-04-2004, 06:04 PM
shazzbat

"Tracy" wrote in message
.. .
Can I plant broad beans into trays for the coldframe, before transplanting
in the garden afterwards muchlike my runner beans? The packet shows no
reference to this...

Yes. I plant them directly into the soil, but put some in a tray of pots to
fill in the gaps where the odd one doesn't show. Also you can use the gaps
as an opportunity for successional planting to extend the cropping period.

Steve

Old 23-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Robert

Tracy wrote:
: Can I plant broad beans into trays for the coldframe, before
: transplanting in the garden afterwards muchlike my runner beans? The
: packet shows no reference to this...
:
:
: thanks a lot

It's getting late to sow broad beans now but you don't need to do what you
describe as they are very hardy especially when compared to runner beans.
That said, there's nothing to stop you doing what you said but they would be
better sown a lot earlier in the year that way. It would be easier all round
if you sowed straight into the ground now.

Old 23-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Brian

If you want to sow BBs now then one of the dwarf varieties would be
best~~and more productive. BBs are as tough as old boots and the earliest
crops is achieved by outdoor sowing in the autumn. Sow them now where you
want them to end up.
Best Wishes.
.. .