GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Birds - friend or foe? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/59942-birds-friend-foe.html)

Tim Tyler 26-04-2004 06:07 AM

Birds - friend or foe?

I have a salad vegetable and herb garden.

I'm wondering if I should:

* Attract birds - so they eat the slugs, snails and other nasties that
prey on my veggies;

....or...

* Repell birds - so they don't eat my seedlings and spread bird shit all
over my produce.

Thanks in advance for any replies - and apologies in advance if this is a FAQ.
--
__________

Tim Challenger 26-04-2004 09:03 AM

Birds - friend or foe?

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:46:43 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

I have a salad vegetable and herb garden.

I'm wondering if I should:

* Attract birds - so they eat the slugs, snails and other nasties that
prey on my veggies;

Sparrows and tits can eat thousands of aphids a day.

...or...

* Repell birds - so they don't eat my seedlings and spread bird shit all
over my produce.

Thanks in advance for any replies - and apologies in advance if this is a FAQ.

Do they actually damage the seedlings? If so, netting is an option.
If there are no birds, then the slugs, snails and aphids will get them
instead.
Bird shit is worth its weight in gold. I always wash my veggies before I
eat them. ;-)

--
Tim C.

Gloxinia 26-04-2004 02:04 PM

Birds - friend or foe?

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

I have a salad vegetable and herb garden.

I'm wondering if I should:

* Attract birds -

yes

...or...

* Repel birds -

no.

Janet

Put netting over and stay calm .. don't hurt the birds ...