Old 26-04-2004, 06:07 AM
Tim Tyler

Default Birds - friend or foe?

I have a salad vegetable and herb garden.

I'm wondering if I should:

* Attract birds - so they eat the slugs, snails and other nasties that
prey on my veggies;

....or...

* Repell birds - so they don't eat my seedlings and spread bird shit all
over my produce.

Thanks in advance for any replies - and apologies in advance if this is a FAQ.
--
__________
Old 26-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Tim Challenger

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 18:46:43 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:

I have a salad vegetable and herb garden.

I'm wondering if I should:

* Attract birds - so they eat the slugs, snails and other nasties that
prey on my veggies;

Sparrows and tits can eat thousands of aphids a day.

...or...

* Repell birds - so they don't eat my seedlings and spread bird shit all
over my produce.

Thanks in advance for any replies - and apologies in advance if this is a FAQ.

Do they actually damage the seedlings? If so, netting is an option.
If there are no birds, then the slugs, snails and aphids will get them
instead.
Bird shit is worth its weight in gold. I always wash my veggies before I
eat them. ;-)

--
Tim C.
Old 26-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Gloxinia

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from Tim Tyler contains these words:

I have a salad vegetable and herb garden.

I'm wondering if I should:

* Attract birds -

yes

...or...

* Repel birds -

no.

Janet

Put netting over and stay calm .. don't hurt the birds ...