Old 29-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Paul

Default Slow hedge

Over 2 years ago we planted a gryselinia (sp?) hedge. To date I have
just left it alone (apart from watering & surface compost dressing).
All 16 plants look healthy, but they seem to be keeping themselves to
themselves - i.e. not actually forming a hedge!

The height of the plants varies between 2ft6 & 4ft (they were approx
1ft when planted) - anyone know if this is to be expected after 2+
years, or should they be taller?

More important, should I be doing anything more constructive?

TIA

Paul
Old 29-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from (Paul) contains these words:

Over 2 years ago we planted a gryselinia (sp?) hedge. To date I have
just left it alone (apart from watering & surface compost dressing).
All 16 plants look healthy, but they seem to be keeping themselves to
themselves - i.e. not actually forming a hedge!

The height of the plants varies between 2ft6 & 4ft (they were approx
1ft when planted) - anyone know if this is to be expected after 2+
years, or should they be taller?

Sounds fine to me.

Just wait :-) In a year or two, they will be growing two or three feet
every year, and you'll be cutting it hard and weeding out a zillion
seedlings from every shady spot. (I hope you know griselinia grows to 40
ft+ at the drop of a hat).It does make a good windproof, evergreen hedge
in mild areas, but it's high maintenance.

I planted a griselinia hedge last year, (to match an established
griselinia hedge on the other side of the house). Half the new hedge is
in deep good moist soil, sunny, open and exposed to wind, the other half
is growing in starved dry deep shade right under a horrible huge
cupressus which screens the oil tank, and will be removed as soon as the
griselinia does that job.

The starved shaded plants under the cupressus have trebled their size
already,growing much faster,greener and thicker than the ones with space
and light. Obviously, young establishing plants thrive best in a little
bit of shelter. That's born out in woodland near here where self-seeding
griselinia is a major weed pest in deep shade. However, my established
hedge is happy in an open exposed place. Yours just needs a bit more
time.

Janet

Can I trim a beech hedge with a petrol hedge cutter? smileygonzo1961 United Kingdom 22 27-09-2008 11:50 PM
How to slow down a fast growing hedge bob United Kingdom 8 01-05-2007 05:14 PM
OT - Read em slow RichToyBox Ponds 0 04-03-2003 02:28 AM
Slow Germinating Tomatoes? Fleemo Gardening 5 03-03-2003 07:15 AM
Schultz "Multi Cote" Slow Release Rose & Flower Chow Shiva Roses 6 18-02-2003 07:03 PM