GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Edible flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60442-edible-flowers.html)

MissJuggs 02-05-2004 11:08 PM

Edible flowers

While browsing I found this:

http://homecooking.about.com/library.../blflowers.htm

List of flowers that are edible, supposedly, although a few of the
notes indicate that those flowers are not supposed to be eaten in
quantity.

Great fun.

Glenys

--
Semen is an anti-depressant.

Jaques d'Alltrades 03-05-2004 02:09 AM

Edible flowers

The message
from MissJuggs contains these words:

While browsing I found this:

http://homecooking.about.com/library.../blflowers.htm

List of flowers that are edible, supposedly, although a few of the
notes indicate that those flowers are not supposed to be eaten in
quantity.

Great fun.

I used to molish a pressed goat cheese using pot marigold petals.
Nasturtium flowers are excellent in salads, as are borage flowers.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

martin 03-05-2004 09:02 AM

Edible flowers

On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:42:55 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from MissJuggs contains these words:

While browsing I found this:

http://homecooking.about.com/library.../blflowers.htm

List of flowers that are edible, supposedly, although a few of the
notes indicate that those flowers are not supposed to be eaten in
quantity.

Great fun.

I used to molish a pressed goat cheese using pot marigold petals.
Nasturtium flowers are excellent in salads, as are borage flowers.

and battered marrow flowers? Some Italians grow marrows only for their
flowers.

Sacha 03-05-2004 10:05 AM

Edible flowers

martin3/5/04 8:37
On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:42:55 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

snip
I used to molish a pressed goat cheese using pot marigold petals.
Nasturtium flowers are excellent in salads, as are borage flowers.

and battered marrow flowers? Some Italians grow marrows only for their
flowers.

I think that's one of my favourite Italian dishes - IIRC, they're stuffed
with ricotta cheese and then fried.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

martin 03-05-2004 11:04 AM

Edible flowers

On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:36:35 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

martin3/5/04 8:37
On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:42:55 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

snip
I used to molish a pressed goat cheese using pot marigold petals.
Nasturtium flowers are excellent in salads, as are borage flowers.

and battered marrow flowers? Some Italians grow marrows only for their
flowers.

I think that's one of my favourite Italian dishes - IIRC, they're stuffed
with ricotta cheese and then fried.

like this
http://starchefs.com/RDonna/html/recipe_01.shtml

or unstuffed like this

http://www.cookingwithpatty.com/reci...iniFlowers.php

Sacha 03-05-2004 11:04 AM

Edible flowers

martin3/5/04 10:05

On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:36:35 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

martin3/5/04 8:37

On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:42:55 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

snip
I used to molish a pressed goat cheese using pot marigold petals.
Nasturtium flowers are excellent in salads, as are borage flowers.

and battered marrow flowers? Some Italians grow marrows only for their
flowers.

I think that's one of my favourite Italian dishes - IIRC, they're stuffed
with ricotta cheese and then fried.

like this
http://starchefs.com/RDonna/html/recipe_01.shtml

or unstuffed like this

http://www.cookingwithpatty.com/reci...iniFlowers.php

Those have gone into the recipe file, thank you! Though the second one gave
me a frisson d'horreur in advocating the use of peanut oil instead of olive
oil!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

martin 03-05-2004 11:04 AM

Edible flowers

On Mon, 03 May 2004 10:20:23 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

martin3/5/04 10:05

On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:36:35 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

martin3/5/04 8:37
On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:42:55 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:
snip
I used to molish a pressed goat cheese using pot marigold petals.
Nasturtium flowers are excellent in salads, as are borage flowers.

and battered marrow flowers? Some Italians grow marrows only for their
flowers.

I think that's one of my favourite Italian dishes - IIRC, they're stuffed
with ricotta cheese and then fried.

like this
http://starchefs.com/RDonna/html/recipe_01.shtml

or unstuffed like this

http://www.cookingwithpatty.com/reci...iniFlowers.php

Those have gone into the recipe file, thank you! Though the second one gave
me a frisson d'horreur in advocating the use of peanut oil instead of olive
oil!

:-)

Jaques d'Alltrades 03-05-2004 05:05 PM

Edible flowers

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:

I used to molish a pressed goat cheese using pot marigold petals.
Nasturtium flowers are excellent in salads, as are borage flowers.

and battered marrow flowers? Some Italians grow marrows only for their
flowers.

Can't you get done for battering flowers?

martin 03-05-2004 06:04 PM

Edible flowers

wrote:

I used to molish a pressed goat cheese using pot marigold petals.
Nasturtium flowers are excellent in salads, as are borage flowers.

and battered marrow flowers? Some Italians grow marrows only for their
flowers.

Can't you get done for battering flowers?

no more than you can for battered cod pieces.

Mike Lyle 03-05-2004 09:05 PM

Edible flowers

Sacha wrote in message .uk...
martin3/5/04 10:05

[...]
and battered marrow flowers? Some Italians grow marrows only for their
flowers.

I think that's one of my favourite Italian dishes - IIRC, they're stuffed
with ricotta cheese and then fried.

like this
http://starchefs.com/RDonna/html/recipe_01.shtml

or unstuffed like this

http://www.cookingwithpatty.com/reci...iniFlowers.php

Those have gone into the recipe file, thank you! Though the second one gave
me a frisson d'horreur in advocating the use of peanut oil instead of olive
oil!

Hey, don't be hidebound! Different oils are good fun. I prefer not use
olive all the time, as it's such a dominant flavour.

Mike.

Nick Wagg 04-05-2004 10:12 AM

Edible flowers

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

Those have gone into the recipe file, thank you! Though the second one

gave
me a frisson d'horreur in advocating the use of peanut oil instead of

olive
oil!

Perhaps because peanut oil has a much higher boiling point than
olive oil, which is why it is the preferred oil for stir frying.
--
Nick Wagg

Sacha 04-05-2004 11:04 AM

Edible flowers

Nick Wagg4/5/04 9:52

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

Those have gone into the recipe file, thank you! Though the second one

gave
me a frisson d'horreur in advocating the use of peanut oil instead of

olive
oil!

Perhaps because peanut oil has a much higher boiling point than
olive oil, which is why it is the preferred oil for stir frying.

I doubt you'd find Italians cooking an Italian speciality in peanut oil,
though! ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

martin 04-05-2004 11:05 AM

Edible flowers

On Tue, 04 May 2004 10:09:09 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Nick Wagg4/5/04 9:52
$i1j$1$8300dec7@news. demon.co.uk

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

Those have gone into the recipe file, thank you! Though the second one

gave
me a frisson d'horreur in advocating the use of peanut oil instead of

olive
oil!

Perhaps because peanut oil has a much higher boiling point than
olive oil, which is why it is the preferred oil for stir frying.

I doubt you'd find Italians cooking an Italian speciality in peanut oil,
though! ;-)

and oil has a burning point, not a boiling point.

Nick Wagg 05-05-2004 10:12 AM

Edible flowers

wrote:

Nick Wagg4/5/04 9:52
$i1j$1$8300dec7@news. demon.co.uk

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

Those have gone into the recipe file, thank you! Though the second

one
gave
me a frisson d'horreur in advocating the use of peanut oil instead of
olive
oil!

Perhaps because peanut oil has a much higher boiling point than
olive oil, which is why it is the preferred oil for stir frying.

I doubt you'd find Italians cooking an Italian speciality in peanut oil,
though! ;-)

Ah, quite!

and oil has a burning point, not a boiling point.

It has both.
--
Nick Wagg

martin 05-05-2004 12:04 PM

Edible flowers

On Wed, 5 May 2004 09:12:12 +0100, "Nick Wagg"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Nick Wagg4/5/04 9:52
$i1j$1$8300dec7@news. demon.co.uk

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

Those have gone into the recipe file, thank you! Though the second

one
gave
me a frisson d'horreur in advocating the use of peanut oil instead of
olive
oil!

Perhaps because peanut oil has a much higher boiling point than
olive oil, which is why it is the preferred oil for stir frying.

I doubt you'd find Italians cooking an Italian speciality in peanut oil,
though! ;-)

Ah, quite!

and oil has a burning point, not a boiling point.

It has both.

You are right, boiling and flash points of peanut oil are
respectively
287 333

For olive oil flash point is 225Deg C boiling point 300DegC,
according to the web.