Old 03-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Peter Green

Default Why can I buy Buddleia weyeriana

Does anyone know where I can buy a Buddleia Weyeriana? The RHS site shows
some nurseries but ideally I need somewhere in the North of England,
preferably any Yorkshire area or somewhere that does mail order. I'm sure
there must be more places that stock it than the current Plant Finder
suggests as it's such a lovely shrub. I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Brian

B. weyeriana roots quite readily from cuttings~~ though not as easily as
davidii. I have had May cuttings root quite well. Actually I did not intend
them to root but had used them, pushed in, as row markers!!
B. weyeriana does seem to be a sterile hybrid between B. globosa and B.
davidii. However I have only seen it listed as if it is a species; but no
species can be sterile.
It retains the best features of both and flowers over a very much longer
period and as it sets no seeds the dead heads fall and continues to flower.
Very many years ago we had a Globosa cutting, rooting in one of the
greenhouses, that became damaged and flowered at the same time as a purple
davidii also being rooted. We transferred pollen over about two weeks and
sowed the seeds from the Davidii.
All of the seedlings were 100% davidii to our disappointment!!. We had no
knowledge of Weyeriana at that time. However, two years later, a Weyeriana
appeared on the neglected patch from which we had removed the unwanted
seedlings. We had/have no idea if it had arisen from our seeds or from one
of the students, who had, taking the Mickey!!
We propagated it and a visitor offered £12 for one of the plants~~a lot of
money in those days. Some years later Weyeriana became listed and we have
often wondered~~ but have never researched the origins of Weyeriana..
Best Wishes Brian. 'flayb' to contact.