GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best way to kill clover in seeded lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60857-best-way-kill-clover-seeded-lawn.html)

Jim Willsher 08-05-2004 11:11 AM

Best way to kill clover in seeded lawn

Hi all,

In May 2001 I had a new lawn from seed. Since then the clover has started
to take over. What's the best method to kill the clover?

I've uploaded a photo of the lawn (95 Kb) at

http://www.jimwillsher.clara.co.uk/Clover.jpg

All the areas of dark green are the clover!

All suggestions welcome (except to start again and lay turf!)

Many thanks,

Jim
Central Scotland

Jim Willsher

Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

David W.E. Roberts 08-05-2004 12:08 PM

"Jim Willsher" wrote in message
Hi all,

In May 2001 I had a new lawn from seed. Since then the clover has started
to take over. What's the best method to kill the clover?

I've uploaded a photo of the lawn (95 Kb) at

http://www.jimwillsher.clara.co.uk/Clover.jpg

All the areas of dark green are the clover!

All suggestions welcome (except to start again and lay turf!)

Many thanks,

Feed the poor thing!

Clover flourished in nitrate-poor soil because it can fix Nitrogen from the
air (using bacteria in the root nodules).

Up the level of nitrates and the grass will out-perform the clover.

Emrys Davies 08-05-2004 01:10 PM

Best way to kill clover in seeded lawn

'Jim',

I presume that it is white clover.

Verdone Extra will eradicate it, but in your case it will be quite an
expensive operation because of the large area involved.

http://www.scottsukonline.com/produc...l/verdone.html

I treated my few, very small, patches of clover about three weeks ago
with Verdone Extra Spot Weeder and they are well and truly dying.
Because of the area involved, you will need to use the version which can
be applied via a watering can.

Regards,
Emrys Davies

redclay 08-05-2004 02:04 PM

Best way to kill clover in seeded lawn

Jim Willsher wrote in message
Hi all,

In May 2001 I had a new lawn from seed. Since then the clover has started
to take over. What's the best method to kill the clover?

Any brand of broadleaf herbicide containing 2,4-D will kill the clover. On
a new lawn mix it as if you have a broadleaf grass and spray it about every
two weeks till the clover is gone.

David Hill 08-05-2004 03:08 PM

Best way to kill clover in seeded lawn

Why not leave a few patches of clover where it is thickest, it will be a
very good food plant for bees and hoverflies.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Jim Willsher 08-05-2004 09:05 PM

Best way to kill clover in seeded lawn

Hi All,

Blimey, a whole raft of rpelies! Thank you all!

Verdone isn't something I've encountered, so I'll look out for it. As
you've noticed, the lawn is quite a large area, but I do want to get it
sorted. It does get fed, but in the past that has only helped the clover!

leaving as feed for beetles etc. I'd actually like to create some form
of wildlife garden area, so will probably set a section aside for this.

Many thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Jim

Mike Lyle 08-05-2004 10:07 PM

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
Why not leave a few patches of clover where it is thickest, it will be a
very good food plant for bees and hoverflies.

And small white clover makes quite a good green lawn in its own right,
as the picture shows: keeps shorter than grass, and roots deeper, so
it's more drought-resistant (though that looks like Wales, so you may
not be too worried about drought!). Of course it's no good at all if
it's going to get any wear.

Mike.

Jim Willsher 09-05-2004 09:04 AM

On 8 May 2004 13:41:21 -0700, (Mike Lyle) wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
Why not leave a few patches of clover where it is thickest, it will be a
very good food plant for bees and hoverflies.

And small white clover makes quite a good green lawn in its own right,
as the picture shows: keeps shorter than grass, and roots deeper, so
it's more drought-resistant (though that looks like Wales, so you may
not be too worried about drought!). Of course it's no good at all if
it's going to get any wear.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Central Scotland, so definitely no worries about drought! It won't get any
wear (no kids/dog).

My only concern is that if I kill the clover, I'll have nothing left....

Jim

Jim Willsher

Homepages at
http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

Kay Easton 09-05-2004 05:08 PM

Best way to kill clover in seeded lawn

In article , Jim Willsher
writes
On 8 May 2004 13:41:21 -0700, (Mike Lyle) wrote:

Hi Mike,

Central Scotland, so definitely no worries about drought! It won't get any
wear (no kids/dog).

My only concern is that if I kill the clover, I'll have nothing left....

Didn't you say you wanted a wildlife area? Supplement that by short
flower rich turf - in other words, keep your clover, keep mowing, don't
fertilise, and gradually encourage a diversity of very low growing
plants into it

It's always good to have a wildlife oasis - but a bigger oasis will give
a bigger variety of wildlife.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: