Old 08-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Jim Willsher

Default Best way to kill clover in seeded lawn

Hi all,

In May 2001 I had a new lawn from seed. Since then the clover has started
to take over. What's the best method to kill the clover?

I've uploaded a photo of the lawn (95 Kb) at

http://www.jimwillsher.clara.co.uk/Clover.jpg

All the areas of dark green are the clover!

All suggestions welcome (except to start again and lay turf!)

Many thanks,

Jim
Central Scotland

Jim Willsher

Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk
Old 08-05-2004, 12:08 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Jim Willsher" wrote in message
Hi all,

In May 2001 I had a new lawn from seed. Since then the clover has started
to take over. What's the best method to kill the clover?

I've uploaded a photo of the lawn (95 Kb) at

http://www.jimwillsher.clara.co.uk/Clover.jpg

All the areas of dark green are the clover!

All suggestions welcome (except to start again and lay turf!)

Many thanks,

Feed the poor thing!

Clover flourished in nitrate-poor soil because it can fix Nitrogen from the
air (using bacteria in the root nodules).

Up the level of nitrates and the grass will out-perform the clover.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Emrys Davies

'Jim',

I presume that it is white clover.

Verdone Extra will eradicate it, but in your case it will be quite an
expensive operation because of the large area involved.

http://www.scottsukonline.com/produc...l/verdone.html

I treated my few, very small, patches of clover about three weeks ago
with Verdone Extra Spot Weeder and they are well and truly dying.
Because of the area involved, you will need to use the version which can
be applied via a watering can.

Regards,
Emrys Davies

Old 08-05-2004, 02:04 PM
redclay

Jim Willsher wrote in message
Hi all,

In May 2001 I had a new lawn from seed. Since then the clover has started
to take over. What's the best method to kill the clover?

Any brand of broadleaf herbicide containing 2,4-D will kill the clover. On
a new lawn mix it as if you have a broadleaf grass and spray it about every
two weeks till the clover is gone.

Old 08-05-2004, 03:08 PM
David Hill

Why not leave a few patches of clover where it is thickest, it will be a
very good food plant for bees and hoverflies.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Jim Willsher

Hi All,

Blimey, a whole raft of rpelies! Thank you all!

Verdone isn't something I've encountered, so I'll look out for it. As
you've noticed, the lawn is quite a large area, but I do want to get it
sorted. It does get fed, but in the past that has only helped the clover!

leaving as feed for beetles etc. I'd actually like to create some form
of wildlife garden area, so will probably set a section aside for this.

Many thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Jim

Old 08-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Mike Lyle

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
Why not leave a few patches of clover where it is thickest, it will be a
very good food plant for bees and hoverflies.

And small white clover makes quite a good green lawn in its own right,
as the picture shows: keeps shorter than grass, and roots deeper, so
it's more drought-resistant (though that looks like Wales, so you may
not be too worried about drought!). Of course it's no good at all if
it's going to get any wear.

Mike.